Register

Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 88.00

Re: Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Post Number:#1081  Unread postby mygoldendoe » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:04 am

Hi,
I'm from Alabama and just bought 4 rabbits from the small livestock section of our trade day two days ago. I was told the sex (which I'm thinking is wrong lol) but not their breed type. We have them in a temporary community hutch that was given to us until their more separated hutches are done. So that's how I found out their sexes were told to us wrong...Iv never raised rabbits before as I was bitten by someones pet one when younger and never wanted near one since. But we raising for meat and pelt.
With lack of time to hunt deer now we had to fix the situation so rabbits it is. Yes every time I stick my hand in there I'm terrified. My three year old keeps poking his finger through and worring me so I shoo him off to play elsewhere. Hopefully that'll help him not become attached as I don't think he understands what we mean by not pets.
I can't wait to explore the forum to compare Yalls experience to the research iv done so far, hopefully I'll retain enough to get me through this! Lol

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,313.00

Post Number:#1082  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:48 pm

Welcome to RabbitTalk, MyGoldenDoe! :welcome:

Rabbits are a good way to go to supply your family with top-quality meat. I'm not going to make a lot of suggestions at this point because I'd rather let you explore the site and ask specific questions relating to your set-up. One thing I will say though is that your does are going to need nest boxes about 28 days after they were exposed to a buck. So better get building! LOL

Rabbit gestation is typically 30-31 days, but anywhere between 29 and 34 is common enough and earlier and later is not impossible. It would be best if your does had their own cages by then, if individual cages are what you intend to use.

You'll notice that there are forums dealing with colony raising and with natural feeding (instead of commercial pellets) but these are areas that are often best left until you have some experience under your belt.

So . . . take a look around and we'll do our best to answer your questions and guide you through the learning curve.
:good-luck:

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 7,980.00

Post Number:#1083  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:50 am

mygoldendoe wrote:Hi,
I'm from Alabama and just bought 4 rabbits from the small livestock section of our trade day two days ago. ..Iv never raised rabbits before as I was bitten by someones pet one when younger and never wanted near one since. But we raising for meat and pelt. .....

With lack of time to hunt deer now we had to fix the situation so rabbits it is.
I can't wait to explore the forum to compare Yalls experience to the research iv done so far, hopefully I'll retain enough to get me through this! Lol

Hi, mygoldendoe,

I used to hunt for meat- but- I can raise rabbit meat for about $1.20 / lb. using the expensive store bought pellets [a lot cheaper if I feed farmed foods.] , -- hunting,- costs for the licence , gas, deer tags, time off work, etc, - usually deer hunting costs me about $3 to $5, / lb, and it can get even more expensive if it takes a few days, or i have to repair my 4wd. and,...- my family loves rabbit meat....
I think it is a good choice,
- I would advise, --take it slow, learn all about managing your rabbits before expanding, -and---build individual cages, and nest boxes asap...
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,151.00

Post Number:#1084  Unread postby SixGun » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:46 pm

Welcome to the forum. You've got great advice already. I'll only add that does will mount bucks and does. Mounting is not always reproductive. So keep in mind what sexes you were told and read the forum on sexing you're rabbits. You can confirm for yourself then. Good luck and have fun.

BunnyBucks: 26.00

Post Number:#1085  Unread postby OpelaAcres » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:58 pm

Hello we are a family of 3 jumping into raising meat rabbits! We are pretty much going into this blind, except that I (wife) am addicted to Google and forums. Husband recently started staying at home with the toddler and the plan is for them to start using the 18 acres that we live on to hopefully reduce the grocery bills. They have decided to start with meat rabbits that we are supposed to set up delivery for in Jan! With cows and goats added in the spring and a garden in early summer, that is besides the point of this forum but wish us luck.

We are starting with 4 does and a buck, I believe they are NZ. We live in west central MO and plan on them living outside under a roof with North and South winds blocks. I have been visiting RT for about a week but started an account today. Any advice/tips you want to share will be greatly appreciated.

Site Supporter
Female
BunnyBucks: 4,911.00

Post Number:#1086  Unread postby Rainey » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:18 pm

Welcome to RT. You'll find lots of ideas here--not just for raising rabbits but about other critters and gardening too. Don't hesitate to ask questions as you get started. I was afraid of asking too many questions but everyone was quite patient and helpful.
Wishing you lots of fun and success as you begin growing more of your own food.

Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 7,980.00

Post Number:#1087  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:32 am

welcome opelaAcres, ...
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 20,672.00

Post Number:#1088  Unread postby Marinea » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:35 am

Welcome!
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

BunnyBucks: 25.00

Post Number:#1089  Unread postby DizzyBunnyFibers » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:04 pm

Hello! I'm Dizzy. I just started raising rabbits January 2017. I have Angoras, 4 English, 4 French and 1 Satin. I am raising them for wool as I am a fiber artist. I spin yarn and weave primarily. The rabbits are something I have been interested in since a child, so I am very happy to finally have started raising them. I am sure that I will have many questions come up as the adventure progresses and am feeling like this site will be a great place to learn. Thanks for adding me! :bunnyhop:

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,251.00

Post Number:#1090  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi Dizzy!
:hi:
I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this, but I'd love to see some samples of your craft! I love all things textile, myself, and I think a thread to show off some of your work would be very much admired ;)

The following user would like to thank Nymphadora for this post
DizzyBunnyFibers

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,551.00

Post Number:#1091  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:51 am

Nymphadora wrote:Hi Dizzy!
:hi:
I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this, but I'd love to see some samples of your craft! I love all things textile, myself, and I think a thread to show off some of your work would be very much admired ;)

:yeahthat:

Someday.... I want to spin my own angora.... until then I must live vicariously through you folks... please create a thread with images and thoughts on your spinning and other projects!!
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/

The following user would like to thank SarniaTricia for this post
Nymphadora

BunnyBucks: 110.00

Post Number:#1092  Unread postby DoodlebugMania » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:59 am

Good Morning all.

I found this forum within the last couple of days, and was impressed with the amount of knowledge, participation, and friendliness I observed. My husband and I just recently acquired a few rabbits, and decided to give a go to raising a few.

A bit about us: We've been married about a year, but have known each other for 40+ years. We grew up within 5 miles of each other in rural southern Mississippi. Hubby is a double-amputee paraplegic, with ongoing health issues, but is still very active. We like to stay busy, so we hunt, fish, garden, woodwork, have a few rabbits, a few chickens, etc. I guess mostly we dabble here and there. I am a stay at home wife and mother, so we never know what we are going to be getting into from day to day. Latest project is building a workshop with lumber from our property (courtesy of my parents who have a sawmill at their place).

We acquired 5 does (New Zealand) and 3 bucks (one NZ, one flop, and one we're not really sure what breed he is).

Looking forward to sharing in the knowledge and experiences here.

BeAnn
Add a little of this, a little of that, you get a simply happy southern girl :)

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,551.00

Post Number:#1093  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:08 pm

DoodlebugMania wrote:Good Morning all.

I found this forum within the last couple of days, and was impressed with the amount of knowledge, participation, and friendliness I observed. My husband and I just recently acquired a few rabbits, and decided to give a go to raising a few.

A bit about us: We've been married about a year, but have known each other for 40+ years. We grew up within 5 miles of each other in rural southern Mississippi. Hubby is a double-amputee paraplegic, with ongoing health issues, but is still very active. We like to stay busy, so we hunt, fish, garden, woodwork, have a few rabbits, a few chickens, etc. I guess mostly we dabble here and there. I am a stay at home wife and mother, so we never know what we are going to be getting into from day to day. Latest project is building a workshop with lumber from our property (courtesy of my parents who have a sawmill at their place).

We acquired 5 does (New Zealand) and 3 bucks (one NZ, one flop, and one we're not really sure what breed he is).

Looking forward to sharing in the knowledge and experiences here.

BeAnn

Welcome BeAnn
Great folks on this site...
A warning ... rabbits are a bit addictive... I started a year ago, thinking 3 does and a buck.... now have 13 breeding animals, picking up 3 more in a couple weeks.. and keeping a kit or two from the next litter....lol
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/

BunnyBucks: 110.00

Post Number:#1094  Unread postby DoodlebugMania » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:00 pm

SarniaTricia wrote:
Welcome BeAnn
Great folks on this site...
A warning ... rabbits are a bit addictive... I started a year ago, thinking 3 does and a buck.... now have 13 breeding animals, picking up 3 more in a couple weeks.. and keeping a kit or two from the next litter....lol

Thanks. I'm already addicted and we've only had our rabbits just over a month lol
Add a little of this, a little of that, you get a simply happy southern girl :)

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,745.00

Post Number:#1095  Unread postby AnnClaire » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 am

Hey DizzyBunnyFibers and Nymphadora, have you browsed the Fiber Rabbits section? There are a few of us here that not only raise Angoras but we spin the fibers too :D

See ya over there!
cheers - AnnClaire

The following user would like to thank AnnClaire for this post
Nymphadora

PreviousNext