Register

Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
BunnyBucks: 65.00

Re: Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Post Number:#1066  Unread postby Coon Creek Rabbitry » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi there from Coon Creek Rabbitry! We are a new rabbitry that just started up a few months ago. We raise mini lops for show and some pet and would like to keep our rabbitry size pretty small. We plan to breed our first litter in a few weeks. We give each and every one of our rabbits individual attention each day and treat them the very best we can. Currently we have 1 buck, 2 does and plan to get at least 2-3 more for now. We are located in south-east Michigan and right now it is very, very hot and we are constantly having to keep fans running for the rabbits. We raise our rabbits on regular wire cages and they are fed a pellet and hay diet. I look forward to talking to other rabbit breeders out there! Have a great day everyone! ~ Coon Creek Rabbitry

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 20,376.00

Post Number:#1067  Unread postby Marinea » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:39 am

Welcome!
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,685.00

Post Number:#1068  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:53 am

Hi
I was introduced to Rabbits in 2015.... I finally wore down my DH and he let me get rabbits Nov 2015...
I purchased traditional wire cages with pull out trays for manure.

Another friend was getting out of rabbits as he was finding the upkeep too difficult with his health. I got a very nice trio of New Zealand cross and a young buck and doe to start my rabbitry. (the young buck and doe didn't fill the breedable requirement so they were eaten)

My garage was heated, so winter of 2015 was a breeze.

I needed to continually remind myself of my goals for rabbits or I would have purchased bunnies till all my cages were full....lol.... my Rex breeder friend helped me with that... she gave me a bunch of her rabbits to house, so I never had extra cages. :lol:

Had a bad feed situation and lost a bunch of kits (my Rex breeder friend lost almost all her kits and 1/2 her breeding stock!) We were assured that the feed situation was fixed ... but then I lost 1/2 a litter and a solid breeding doe (I only had two!) So we switched feed.... now on Purina Performance

Spring came and my neighbour complained about the manure smell... (I'm in a subdivision).... so Rabbits now pay rent at a horse farm .. kinda on my way into work. :x

My rabbits are:
pair of Magpie Harlequin - Blaze and Ester
a pedigreed New Zealand broken red Buck - Dave
my original New Zealand Cross Doe - Spots
Big Red(my original Red New Zealand Cross buck)'s son Little Red
Sheri is a American Chinchilla mix - but she is marked like a Magpie Harlequin
Junior will replace his sire Blaze... he has the spots his mom Spots has....
Cinderella - American Chinchilla mix doe
Prince Charming - American Chinchilla mix buck.

My Goals:
To raise rabbits in a healthy & humane way for meat and pelts.
I would like to reduce the number of bucks, but I like to experiment with pelt colours and patterns.... so still working on that.... :lol: :P :lol:
Breeding Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 7,950.00

Post Number:#1069  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:35 am

welcome Sarnia Tricia,
this is a great place to learn and share experience...
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
SarniaTricia

BunnyBucks: 65.00

Post Number:#1070  Unread postby Seasprite » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi! I'm Sprite from NJ, USA.

I started off with one Netherland Dwarf named Remy LeBeau, who has been my pride and joy for the last 3 years now! He's taught me so much, both the good and the bad. We've been through a lot, including a bout of Stasis ( :( :( ) recently, but we've pulled through. He's my independent but affectionate-in-his-own-way bunny.

Then came Sweetie. Originally she was going to be named Lucky as she'd been DANG lucky. Our vet and I suspect she originally was a negligent breeder's rabbit who either was dumped (likely) or escaped and ended up hopping around my coworker's neighborhood. Lucky bit #1: she ended up in a yard with my coworker who is rabbit friendly though not someone who would keep them. Lucky bit #2: She made friends with coworker's son long enough to snap pictures to send to my coworker. Lucky bit #3: coworker KNOWS I'm "that crazy bunny lady". Lucky bit #4: she stayed in that yard as I hauled butt over there with a box to catch her, and was there when I got there. Lucky bit #5: I was about to go on local vacation - but hadn't left yet - AND had plans already on bringing my own bunny - it only cost me $30 for a cheap temporary cage to keep her.

She went to the vet, got a clean bill of health (though her blood showed signs of trauma, and she was underweight and overheated a bit when found), and settled in. She constantly licked me from about 2 hours in to getting her, as though she knew I'd saved her. And she still does lick me often. :D

A month later, I heard some squeaking coming from her cage and much to my surprise, there were three pink jellybeans with feet in a small nest I'd no idea she'd been building (on the outside, it just looked like a hay pile with some fur in it... I had to poke around to find the source of the squeaks). Sweetie, much to the surprise of my vet AND me, had been pregnant!

I got homes for all three kits soon after birth, and have been waiting for when they're old enough to wean to give them out. There have been a few snags along the way (one of which is the reason I signed up for this board... but I have to wait till 20 posts to post there!), but they're adorable and I wouldn't have it any other way. Honeybun - the sweetest of the lot - goes 'home' in less than a week to a good home I'm sure she'll be happy in.

So there's my bunny story.

As for me - I'm a young-at-heart adult from NJ, USA. I work in the IT field, love to cook/bake, enjoy trips to the ocean, and could live there if it weren't over an hour's commute away. I used to horseback ride, ice skate (figure skate), ski, and swim but life has been very ... upsetting lately and I haven't had the time. My father has 2 forms of dementia and I'm living at home to help my mother care for him - hence there's a limit as to how many bunnies I can keep. Boo.

I currently enjoy going to conventions and belly dance in what little free time I have. :D

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Post Number:#1071  Unread postby Marinea » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:07 pm

Welcome Sprite!
Bird House Farm

BunnyBucks: 5.00

Post Number:#1072  Unread postby BlorpyBigguns » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:55 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to rabbit raising with three English Angoras, two males and a female. I hope to harvest wool and maybe breed the unrelated pair. But, at this point, I just want to make sure they stay happy and ALIVE! I'm so glad I found this forum.

I have Miss Bunny and Clyde, and Miss Bunny's brother Al Bunny. They are about four months old now, and totally fabulous.

Post Number:#1073  Unread postby Marinea » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:02 pm

Welcome!
Bird House Farm

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 56,718.00

Post Number:#1074  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:07 pm

Welcome to RabbitTalk, BB! :hi:

I'm glad you found us!

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 1,761.00

Post Number:#1075  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:02 pm

Hi all,
I live in southern Arizona, and have raised rabbits off and on for the last 25 years.
When I was still in school I raised Standard Chinchillas as well as a few crosses Palomino, Siamese Satin, New Zealand, French Lop). Later I got my first house bunny, a Dutch who was quite the handful. Later still I was introduced to English Angoras and Harlequins. They were raised for fiber and meat. The Harlequins were a great breed as they supplied a number of culls for my raw fed dogs. Now, I have a house rabbit again, a wonderful little Netherland Dwarf that is really more a companion bunny than he is a house rabbit. He travels with me everyday, has his favorite place to ride in the car, loves the playground/park and people, and I swear he knows when we're near the feed store.

Post Number:#1076  Unread postby Marinea » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Welcome and what a cutie that bun is.
Bird House Farm

Site Supporter

Post Number:#1077  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:23 pm

Thank you Marinea. Glad to be here. And don't let Tyrion hear you, it'll go right to his head.

BunnyBucks: 186.00

Post Number:#1078  Unread postby foresthomemama » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:08 am

Hi, Sixgun! I'm in Arizona- up on the Rim! Love the little cutie in your pic.
Homeschooling mama of 3 creative little girls, 5, 7, and 10. Addicted to crochet, hand embroidery, and my rabbits. We live on the edge of the Colorado Plateau at 7,000 feet on the Mogollon Rim in a national forest area. Former teacher, current medical language student. YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLGVaSZILyF4bxEKDBTSFwA

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 425.00

Post Number:#1079  Unread postby JudyM » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:04 pm

Welcome! I love that little bunny!

Site Supporter

Post Number:#1080  Unread postby SixGun » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:29 pm

Foresthomemama, I almost went up to the ARBA show in Flagstaff this week, but my schedule just wouldn't allow it. But I'm going to get up in that area before it gets too cool for me!

JudyM, Thank you. I'm glad to be here.

PreviousNext