Register

Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 7,980.00

Re: Tell us about yourself and your rabbits!

Post Number:#1051  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:08 am

Hi BigFoot, and welcome to RT...
I have done the homesteading, and self-sufficiency thing, and raised my own food for some years, we grow and bottle our own...
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 40.00

Post Number:#1052  Unread postby TraceeLynn430 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:05 am

I suppose when I first found RT, I came barging in looking for information, and in the haste of my concerns, I lost my manners and failed to introduce myself and my brood- my apologies! My name is Tracee & I live in a regular ol' house in a regular ol' neighborhood in Jacksonville, FL. (I add that because I am asked all the time if I live on a "farm".) As a child, my father brought me home a rabbit as a pet one day, not exactly sure why, but I loved her just the same. I was young & don't remember much about Spunky, except that she lived inside our house (long before I ever heard the term "house rabbit" I actually had one!) I found this slightly ironic, since my father would also go out hunting and have me hold his bounty by the legs or ears for photos to show of his skill & our upcoming meals. (This was waaay before Facebook, Instagram, or SnapChat, so these were actual photographs-and the square ones, not even 4 x 6s! He actually had to get them developed and physically show them to his friends in real life, lol!) I've had various other pets to include kitties, dogs, a guinea pig, various hamsters, I think even a mouse once, box turtles, fish (both fresh & salt water) and, of course, lots of bunnies. I am a Lab Lover- I've had Labrador retrievers both as pets and as Guide Dog/Service Dog puppies that I have raised, and currently have my only "flunkie" who I was able to adopt back after he chose to not purse a life serving others. When we moved to Palm Coast (oh yeah, I have chickens, too- LOTS of chickens! I knew I was forgetting something!) we became more in touch with our natural side. We had some friends who were homesteaders, and my interest in bunny rabbits was reignited. I searched for a bunny to adopt, and found a creepy guy in an undesirable area who offered some up, said he was "raisin' 'em to eat" yet they were very small stock, and definitely NOT meat rabbits- he said he even captured and used a wild rabbit to breed, ugh! Anyway, I rescued Grayson from whatever horrible fate would have become him had he stayed there. (I watched in horror as one of his littermates was stuffed in a biker's bag and left to go be fed to his pet snake!) Gray-Bunny, as he was called (he was tortoise or cinnamon or something to that effect, a mutt bunny, but gorgeous and sweet.) became my best bud. He'd sit with me on my bench as I'd work from home, keeping me company and bringing nature inside once more. I quickly realized he needed a friend, and our homesteader friends offered us pick of the next litter, so we took the one that was NOT white (they were NZs, but I think one was a cross) and Maddie came to live with us. "Maddie" turned out to be "Matty." Then came Fido (our son named her- she turned out to act just like a Golden retriever, so the name eventually fit.) I was surprised one day when Steve walked in with a cage that contained Lovey, a solid white blue eyed girl. So now Grayson needed to be fixed. I watched with my own eyes as this was done, and eventually, one night after dinner, I heard weird noises in their home base cage, and low & behold, in the nest that I was sure she had build as a sign of a false pregnancy now contained 5 kits! Of that litter, we kept 2, Spitfire, and (RIP) Rotti (short for "Rottweiler Bunny" who was otter). My daughter eventually became their caretaker when I relocated for half a year. Shortly before that, Graybunny was killed, it was awful, how on our quiet, coquina road neighborhood where everyone knew about our "yard rabbits" someone who shouldn't have been there ran him over & left him for us to find. It was traumatic at best. (I made a huge memorial with a big note so if that evil being ever returned, he might feel great remorse!) For Christmas that year, Shadow came into my life; she was a NZ/American blue lop. She was big & tough! After returning to Jacksonville after my brief residence up north, I adopted Furby from a young couple who could no longer care for him- he was from a rescue and already fixed- NOT! 3 litters (with Spitfire) later, he is fixed. (That whole situation is a story of its own!) From that first litter, I kept "Nikita the unadoptable" because she has an attitude that no one else could appreciate & I try to break it daily, like a wild horse. Let's see, then Moomin came to live with us- he's a big blue angora mix lop, very sweet- his owners were allergic, I think. We had already agreed to take in Inca, who was the baby of a co-worker of my son, but when she became pregnant, her allergies went crazy, so now Inky-Dink is ours. Hmmm, who else...? Oh yes, Dutch- my ex-husband's girlfriend's neighbor's kids' bunny. Dutch was supposed to be a boy. He is the meanest rabbit I've ever had. Dutch is currently to my left, nursing a litter of seven, so now "he" is "Dutchess"! (Yes, my ability to detect "cottonballs" isn't the best and most definitely needs to be honed! We had been calling him "Stu" per my son, because he said he wanted to tell his friends, "This is our mean rabbit stew"- boys! (On days "he" was really bad, I DID actually threaten him with stew!) I'm getting a lot of practice sexing these days, so NOW I am staring to know what I'm doing!) Easter evening, Newbie showed up in my carport- he is a very young, I don't know, Californian-esque seal point mix possibly...? Very sweet-may be my "GrayBunny" reincarnated... And last but not least is Inca's litter of the 3 that lived. Moomin and her are buddies, and I had everyone sequestered securely, so I thought. He could not have been out a total of 3 minutes before I realized it, but... (He DID look guilty when I found him lying next to her!) A side note: Dutchess is mean and usually is kept separate, and, to my knowledge, has NEVER been alone with either of my bucks, so when I post later asking if bunnies can "spawn salmon style", this is why I inquire!) I think that is everyone. Dutchess' 7 kits include 2 blue gray Dutch looking kits, (Colby named one "Azra" & I call the other one "Better Than Azra" lol! Silly attempt at band humor, sorry!) one solid black really fluffy already, 3 black & white Dutch looking, and one that isn't black, isn't brown, but like a dark chestnut/chocolate agouti-esque Dutch marked kit! Inca's 3 kits all look to be either dark blue like Moomin or possibly dark chocolate or light blackish-still too young to tell, really. One has a white foot & we named that one "South Paw.) Newbie has a neutering appointment next week, and the other bucks are still in their quarantine time frame (that we were not told about previously, and how we came to have Spitfire!!!) I understand rabbits for meat and all the benefits, but just like with our chickens, we don't eat the laying hens; they are pets, just like we don't eat our pet rabbits, though I am open to eating rabbit meat. (Though we don't at this time, but have from our friends.) Meat rabbits are for meat, meat chickens are for meat. I am sorry if I may sound irresponsible, but there is a lot more detail left out. I have been uber intensive in finding really good forever homes for the kits, all with the contingency that they be brought back to me if for any reason they could no longer be cared for. All have gotten great forever families. (I'd quicker fix them and keep them then to sell them as snake food or worse...) Of the 10 kits on hand, 2 have already been claimed, I have a potential taker for 4, but if anyone knows of anyone close by that would like to give a GOOD home to the babies, please put us in touch. I think I may have a home for one additional kit, and after their personalities emerge, we still may wind up keeping one or two... My rabbits are a mix of house rabbits and colony rabbits; most of the house rabbits realize it is more fun outside in nature like God intended, so once they get a good taste of it, they usually prefer it, so I go with their preferences. All mamas & kits stay inside, at least temporarily. I keep the younger ones inside for quite a while, too. I'm currently finishing up the mac daddy Taj Mahal chicken coop & bunny home base hutch extraordinaire, to include a fully netted/wired enclosure, complete with water & electricity, gardens, play structures, etc. that encompasses the entire left side of my property. They have the run of the entire property, but I want to have the safety of the enclosure for when I'm not home. (The dog stays outside if I leave for now & the hawks stay away if he is out there.) I will probably build another "house" or room just for them, so I can regain my garage- you know, complete with AC, a pool, herb garden, and artwork, lol! Yes, I AM "The Crazy Bunny Lady"! (aka "The Crazy Chicken Lady"!)
~Tracee (pictured with Grayson-"Bunny Bunny Bun Bun"- the one who started it all...)
Currently "Bun Mum" to: Spitfire ("Spitzy"), Furby, Inca, Moomin, Dutchess, Nikita, Newbie, Dutchess' litter of 7, & Inca's litter of 3

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,030.00

Post Number:#1053  Unread postby bigfoot_158 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:30 am

Marinea wrote:Welcome to RT!

Pretty Californian!

Thank you Marinea, yea that one of 4 rabbits that I have.
Have a Nice day
BigFoot

1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 392.00

Post Number:#1054  Unread postby BelleVie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi everyone :D

I started raising standard Rex rabbits last fall with one buck (harlequin) and three does (tri-color, harlequin, and black otter). I decided to build an outdoor colony because it seemed like the best way for the rabbits to socialize and get good exercise. My buns did great through the winter and my does just had litters a couple of weeks ago!

I love my rabbits, and so do my four daughters-- I grew up in a rabbit-raising family so it's fun to share that experience with my own children :) . My goal with the rabbits is to develop a breeding program for quality breeding/show stock, selling the pet-quality animals, and having the rest for meat/fur.

My favorite experience so far is seeing my does care for their kits as a team, and watching them all snuggle up together. This makes the colony environment worth it to me, and even though I have a lot to learn I think I'm off to a good start.

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 120.00

Post Number:#1055  Unread postby shicat » Mon May 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Hello,

I'm new to rabbits. I live in central Oklahoma. I bought my first rabbits on 24 April 2016. I now have 3 rabbits that are. Trying to take over my life :lol: . All 3 are TAMUK variety rabbits since they handle heat well. I have a New Zealand White buck and a New Zealand White doe along with a Composite doe.

I've found that all three are very different from each other. The buck is very chill. 8-) He'll come up to you at the front of the cage to say hi, ask for treats, then go stuff his face, ya know, since he's up already. His preferred activities are 1. lounge about and 2. eat. Eat everything.

The NZW doe prefers to pay on her shelf without moving. If induced to move to the main level of the cage, she'll eat, drink, and be merry, but the instant you turn your back, she's back on the shelf. She's also pretty territorial; she's definitely not shy about letting you know that it's her cage that you're mucking about in and she'd rather you stopped. :!:

The composite doe is the only one to have a name so far. She's Clementine because she's an absolute cutie (terrible pun, I know). I got her a bit young (about 7 weeks). She's amazingly friendly and inquisitive. She spends a lot of time running around in circles, chewing sticks, birdwatching, and just being adorable. :bunnyhop:

These guys are in wire cages outside. The does have shelves, but the buck doesn't. When they come of age, I plan on breeding them primarily for meat, but I have had a few requests for pets.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 20,657.00

Post Number:#1056  Unread postby Marinea » Mon May 02, 2016 8:08 pm

Welcome to RT!

Sounds like they are getting you trained already. It's amazing how they manage that so quickly.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 13,666.00

Post Number:#1057  Unread postby alforddm » Tue May 03, 2016 3:35 pm

*Wave* Hello from a fellow Oklahoman! Welcome!

BunnyBucks: 30.00

Post Number:#1058  Unread postby ADinWNC » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi y'all! I have been lurking around RT for a couple of years learning from everyone's experience. I have been raising rabbits for almost 7 years and have finally gotten the basics under control. I have Champagnes, Chocolate Silver Fox and some meat mutts. Right now I have 35 rabbits in two barns - most are grow outs that will be processed the end of this month. My purpose in raising rabbits is to put some "clean" (no chemicals, hormones or other additives) meat into our diet. I really appreciate Maggie J's sharing her insight into natural foods and I try to feed my rabbits some weeds every week.

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 105.00

Post Number:#1059  Unread postby LovinTheFarmLife » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:07 am

Hello all, I stumbled across this forum by accident but am so glad I did. My DH and I live on almost 2 acres that butts up against his mom and dad's farm. We love farming, plain and simple, and enjoy growing and raising our own food. My rabbits are New Zealand Reds and I am raising them for meat. I currently have a breeding trio plus a litter of 6 kits. I've learned so much on this forum already and am looking forward to learning even more. :)

Site Supporter

Post Number:#1060  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:22 am

Hi and welcome, to both of you-- this is a very good place to share, and get some input if you have questions ...
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
LovinTheFarmLife

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 5.00

Post Number:#1061  Unread postby Farm316 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:15 am

Hi!

I'm very excited to join this rabbit community! I have joined other community's for my different pets, If you have chickens in your backyard and are wanting to find a fun and nice community, head over to Backyardchickens.com

I have done some research for my Very first Rabbit: 12mnth old SilverFox/California White Doe that I named Twilight, she's been eating Timothy grass hay, and a mixture between alfalfa pellets and oxbow young essentials. Ive been feeding her once in the morning and once at night,She has been getting a bit more pellets during the daytime and less at night, I think she eats way more hay during the night than she does during the day. She was suppose to be an outside rabbit, but I've convinced part of my family to keeping her in the house till she gets a bit bigger, there has been some wonders about keeping her outside, so I requested that she be put in our new porch! This is day 3 that we've had her, and she has no sign of being a naughty bunny. She does have 1 pink and white hard bump on her ear and 1 on the back, they aren't swollen at all, also she has been scratching and licking the area so I'm a bit concerned they are abscess, but I figured they would be swollen, eating and drinking has been normal, and no diarrhea or soft stools, Nice hard and brown. So I'm not sure if I should do anything.

Please suggest anything you read that might be a concern with the care that I am giving her, As I said before, She is my first Rabbit and I really need help.

Thanks!
Farm316

Site Supporter

Post Number:#1062  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:02 pm

Farm316 wrote:Hi!

I'm very excited to join this rabbit community! I have joined other community's for my different pets, If you have chickens in your backyard and are wanting to find a fun and nice community, head over to Backyardchickens.com

I have done some research for my Very first Rabbit: 12mnth old SilverFox/California White Doe that I named Twilight, she's been eating Timothy grass hay, and a mixture between alfalfa pellets and oxbow young essentials. Ive been feeding her once in the morning and once at night,She has been getting a bit more pellets during the daytime and less at night, I think she eats way more hay during the night than she does during the day. She was suppose to be an outside rabbit, but I've convinced part of my family to keeping her in the house till she gets a bit bigger, there has been some wonders about keeping her outside, so I requested that she be put in our new porch! This is day 3 that we've had her, and she has no sign of being a naughty bunny. She does have 1 pink and white hard bump on her ear and 1 on the back, they aren't swollen at all, also she has been scratching and licking the area so I'm a bit concerned they are abscess, but I figured they would be swollen, eating and drinking has been normal, and no diarrhea or soft stools, Nice hard and brown. So I'm not sure if I should do anything.

Please suggest anything you read that might be a concern with the care that I am giving her, As I said before, She is my first Rabbit and I really need help.

Thanks!
Farm316

don't know where you live-- but keep an eye on the bumps just in case it is bot-fly

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,005.00

Post Number:#1063  Unread postby shazza » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:22 am

i've been creeping around here gleaning advice from other peoples' threads for a while now so i figured i'd just...go ahead and join, haha. i always seem to find myself here when i do research or need help with a problem, so why not?

i started with rabbits in march of this year (so boy am i new,) and now i have mini lops, standard rex, one harlequin, and i plan on starting american whites later this year as well, and i'd love a couple a&m composites but i may not be able to find space. i am breeding for meat primarily, with fur and showing secondary. i'm a taxidermy enthusiast, and i enjoy making costumes for conventions and renfest, so i am hoping to turn my rabbits into a little profit in addition to dinner, with their fur and bones.

i was born in the middle of nowhere, south louisiana, and moved to the suburbs when i was 6, and have been trying to pull myself back out into the country ever since. my husband is a born and raised city boy so i'm having to teach him everything late in life, but he's picking it up pretty well ;P luckily he shares my passion for self-sustainability and knowing that my food lived a good life and was killed humanely. we thought we were going to only have four or five rabbits...but whoops. got bit by the bug. now we have twelve, with plans to build space for at least twelve more. we don't have a huge amount of space, so i'm forced to not go crazy with it, which is good, because i would have a barn with 100 rabbits in it tomorrow if i could, haha.

so far i've actually had horrid luck with breeding - i had two mini lop does and one lost a litter and never would breed again, then died suddenly of unknown causes (couldn't find anything in necropsy.) the second never lifted once for over six months of breeding attempts, so went to freezer camp. got a third doe and she actually kindled a litter last month, but she did so on the wire and lost all of them. now it's too hot to breed, and i'm sad the only kits i have to raise this summer are ones i've bought. at least when fall rolls around the kits i bought this spring/summer will be breeding age so i have more than one try. fingers crossed!
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

1 year of membership
South Africa Female
BunnyBucks: 1,052.00

Post Number:#1064  Unread postby olafthebunny » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:45 pm

Good luck on breeding, Shazza!
Just a young author, YouTuber, artist and bunny mama:)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMOvPJ ... JhHsO5W3Fg
Book series blog: http://wotnbooks.blogspot.co.za/
Lucky Lapine: ArtsyBunny

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 15.00

Post Number:#1065  Unread postby Kootenay Champagne » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:09 pm

Hello fellow rabbit fanciers!! My name is Kyersten, I raise pedigree Champagne d'Argents and crosses for primarily meat in the beautiful West Kootenays of BC. I have been lurking for some time, so thought it was time to join, and say hello! I am not new to rabbits, have been raising them off and on for a few years, took a break to have some kiddos of our own, and have now jumped back in with both feet...with Pedigreed rabbits, something that is new to me! I hope to show, once the kids are older. I have grand plans of tanning our own skins as well as putting happy meat on our table. I am experimenting with homemade feed as well, (we do not feed soy to our animals and tend to avoid it when possible for ourselves). I look forward to reading and learning so much more from like minded rabbit addicts! Have a great day all!

PreviousNext