Tattoo system

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey0246

Reaction score
:bunnyhop: I breed dwarf rabbits and i need advice about a tattoing system. they don't get very big, so tattoo equipment (size wise) is another question. (They are dwarf hotots) I would like to use the pliers as opposed to the pen. Any suggestions about what I should use and how I should use it? Thanks! :bunnyhop:

Premiumrabbits.com sells a complete tattoo pen set with everything you need for a very reasonable price.

But I agree with you that the pliers are a much better option. I do most of my shopping on Amazon, where you can find pretty much anything you'll need. I also know a few people who bought theirs at Bass Equipment. Tractor Supply might carry it, too.

Sorry, can't advise you on proper size. I only raise medium and large breeds. (French Angoras and Satins.)

Winterwolf":18lucdre said:
Premiumrabbits.com sells a complete tattoo pen set with everything you need for a very reasonable price.

But I agree with you that the pliers are a much better option. I do most of my shopping on Amazon, where you can find pretty much anything you'll need. I also know a few people who bought theirs at Bass Equipment. Tractor Supply might carry it, too.

Sorry, can't advise you on proper size. I only raise medium and large breeds. (French Angoras and Satins.)

Most of the information I've found has been based on larger breeds so that's why I asked that question. Thanks for the info on the equipment though!

The smaller digit is your better option, cannot remember but all you do is divide it out and look at each compared. The last clamp I had was 5/16 size, metal not plastic digits. They will be no good if not cleaned properly every time and dried well before putting up though.

I use a pen, the KBTAT to be specific, less than 40.00 for brand new set. There are sets others have slightly used for less, on facebook there's usually some one with one or two (even the clamp style) for much less than what you'd pay new. As long as you clean them, perfectly usable. You may need to order a new needle, but that's relatively inexpensive compared to the rest of it. Ink needs to be changed bare min every 6 months, India ink from a hobby/craft store works well. Dark ink is your best; black, blue, or green but there's nothing that says you can't use some other "off" color if you choose. The tattoo just needs to be easily seen. I also use orajel or if I can afford buy Gigi's numbing spray or a similar one for waxing/no-no's hair removal....works awesome. I have used my pen tat on every thing I've had from itty bitty NDs to EL ears :) I write in block style and haven't had a complaint on the table. I have had a few that were tattoo'd really young that faded with age (my ink was over the 6 month mark and I was just trying to get them done for showing).

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":2vog7lj6 said:
The smaller digit is your better option, cannot remember but all you do is divide it out and look at each compared. The last clamp I had was 5/16 size, metal not plastic digits. They will be no good if not cleaned properly every time and dried well before putting up though.

I use a pen, the KBTAT to be specific, less than 40.00 for brand new set. There are sets others have slightly used for less, on facebook there's usually some one with one or two (even the clamp style) for much less than what you'd pay new. As long as you clean them, perfectly usable. You may need to order a new needle, but that's relatively inexpensive compared to the rest of it. Ink needs to be changed bare min every 6 months, India ink from a hobby/craft store works well. Dark ink is your best; black, blue, or green but there's nothing that says you can't use some other "off" color if you choose. The tattoo just needs to be easily seen. I also use orajel or if I can afford buy Gigi's numbing spray or a similar one for waxing/no-no's hair removal....works awesome. I have used my pen tat on every thing I've had from itty bitty NDs to EL ears :) I write in block style and haven't had a complaint on the table. I have had a few that were tattoo'd really young that faded with age (my ink was over the 6 month mark and I was just trying to get them done for showing).

Wow! Thanks for the info! I have heard people say if you are going to show you shouldn't use the pen, so that's why I was looking at the clamps.
Thanks again! It really helped

Joey0246":eat7emp9 said:
Wow! Thanks for the info! I have heard people say if you are going to show you shouldn't use the pen, so that's why I was looking at the clamps.
Thanks again! It really helped

I find it odd that you were told this, only because almost everyone that we know in the show world uses a pen, especially those that have dwarf breeds. To be honest, the only people I know that use a clamp are those that raise larger, meat breeds and they are usually the "old school" breeders. Nothing wrong with the clamps, I just prefer the pen for our Netherland ears. It takes a bit of practice with the pens, but you have a lot more flexibility on your tattoos with the pen. Plus the pens are usually cheaper! :cool:

Back