tannins..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I know many people feed things high in tannins.

What about tannin water? I ask because I have indian almond leaves that is loaded with tannins, I buy the leaves from neherp. I make a tannin water for my dart frog tadpoles. Keeps fungus and bacteria at bay and they also eat it as the small piece of leaf breaks down.

Has anyone ever made tannin water for rabbits? I was thinking when kits are young I could give them a tannin rich water bottle once a week. For older rabbits maybe once every other week or even monthly.

I see the pros to this. Does anyone see any cons to this? I'm pretty sure indian almond leaves would be bunny safe, as my tads eat it and they are VERY sensitive.

Any thoughts? <br /><br /> __________ Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:52 am __________ <br /><br /> From a quick Google search some say rabbits can eat almonds and some say they cant. But these are the leaves... hmmm

Nothing can eat raw bitter almond seeds - they are poisonous and must be heated/roasted to make safe

Sweet almonds are safe but usually pasteurized just incase of contamination with bitter almond varieties

Personally I've not seen any parasite control for pin worms or coccidia by feeding tannins

A possible negative would be if they stopped drinking because they didn't like the flavouring - just make sure they are consuming the same amount of water or you could risk GI issues

If it were me doing this experiment ... I would offer the "tannin water " in a separate, additional water bottle, and see how much they choose to drink. -- and carefully watch the rabbits, especially their back end for any unusual stool. phyllobates, - or dendrobates ??

When I was reading a book on rabbit production, I remember seeing too much tannin being cited as a problem that can interfere with growth. It showed a pic of some kits with pot bellies, and claimed the kits had a diet too high in sunflower stalks... That's all I remember. :oops:

I feed tannins and high tannin plants, but I do try not to overdo it...Whatever overdoing may be? I don't think anyone really knows where that line is.

Tannins can be a health risk and is a reason some people strongly avoid tannin heavy foods. Even large livestock have been killed by oak trees. It can destroy the liver, kidneys, and intestines. Those that feed tannin rich foods are usually not doing so for a health benefit from the tannins but to provide more food variety easily while not finding that level of tannin to produce health problems. While I see studies for benefits in some animals for specific pathogens the only rabbit ones I can find simply say it had no adverse effects on meat quality with no listed benefits. Tannins can also negatively effect the digestibility of some foods and being astringent generally taste bad so pure tannin water may not be palatable.

It's medirabbit that promotes feeding high tannin plants to rabbits.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_disease ... occ_en.htm

Prevention

Branches and leaves rich in tannin (willow, hazelnut, oak, ash, fruit trees, eventually pines) are excellent in preventing coccidiosis. Before a rabbit is given a twig to chew, it is important to check that it’s picked from a tree that is not toxic to rabbits. Furthermore, the tree must not have been exposed to chemicals or pollution from busy roads.

Zass":1g264ymr said:
It's medirabbit that promotes feeding high tannin plants to rabbits.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_disease ... occ_en.htm

Prevention

Branches and leaves rich in tannin (willow, hazelnut, oak, ash, fruit trees, eventually pines) are excellent in preventing coccidiosis. Before a rabbit is given a twig to chew, it is important to check that it’s picked from a tree that is not toxic to rabbits. Furthermore, the tree must not have been exposed to chemicals or pollution from busy roads.

We feed willow year round--dried in the winter--because we have lots of it and understood it was good as part of our forage/hay/oats or wheat feeding. Hadn't thought about tannins except when we were thinking about gathering acorns to feed chickens or rabbits. Also feed hazelnut twigs/leaves while green and some apple twigs. But willow they pretty much get every day. Is that too much? I guess from what I'm reading in this thread it could help with cocci prevention but could also slow growth? :? Sometimes the various aspects of natural feed get rather confusing.

With so many questions in the air with tannins.. I'm not sure I want to try it..

And I have 3 species, r. Imitator chazutas, d. Auratus super blues and d. Tinc bakhuis. Only ones breeding are my chazutas. my super blue group are all females and my bakhuis are nearing breeding age.

Favorite frogs hands down tho are my chazutas. They are extremely bold and charismatic!

ipoGSD said:
With so many questions in the air with tannins.. I'm not sure I want to try it..

And I have 3 species, r. Imitator chazutas, d. Auratus super blues and d. Tinc bakhuis. Only ones breeding are my chazutas. my super blue group are all females and my bakhuis are nearing breeding age.

Favorite frogs hands down tho are my chazutas. They are extremely bold and charismatic![/quote]

very cool -- post pictures.....

Plants high in tannin are recommended for drying up bigger farm animals - catle, sheep, so it might be a good idea not to give them to nursing does

Latest posts

Back