Tanning question...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just toss it. They hover around me like vultures and snatch up any little bit they can, basically eating the intestines before I even get them cut out of the body.

@skysthelimit

Don't you have any problems with your dogs eating the guts and heads from your butchered rabbits? I've heard that shepherds (what you have I believe) have sensitive digestive systems. I would be hesitant with my Lab for the same reason.

Since raw food doesn't have everything cooked out of it and synthetic nutrients put into it, its easier on dogs with sensitivities than one would think. Thats why most people who feed raw do so, their animals sensitive systems. It takes a little courage to step outside the box but its a ton better for the animal. I feed my dogs raw and my ferrets too

That is the number one reason I switched this group to raw, because of a few sensitive stomachs. I could not find one dog food that agreed with all of them. One of the dogs would have diarrhea every day, the other goopy ears and hot spots. I tried sensitive stomach food, and he would belched up awful fish smells, and it didn't completely stop the diarrhea. After I started feeding raw, the problems went away.<br /><br />__________ Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:27 am __________<br /><br />They also eat rabbits fur on, and have been known to steal my pelts, with no ill effects.

skysthelimit":1m4rg7k3 said:
They also eat rabbits fur on, and have been known to steal my pelts, with no ill effects.
They will just poop that out. But i be very careful on how much you give to each dog as it can compact in there and then you are in trouble.Just like wool block in Rabbits.

The raw diet isnt all cracked up to be... But it is far better than kibble.. I also notice that allot of people going to raw because they are lazy. .. They just throw what ever ... The next thing you know they do have problems. You have to know what you are doing... And some dogs cant have raw... I have one of those dogs. I almost lots one of my dogs because of raw diet...Her liver couldnt handle that fat .. Even tho she didnt have much at all. But all dogs are differnt just like people.

You do have to know what you are doing, and how to read the signs as to how well your dog is doing. I've never heard of anyone doing it because they are lazy. Shame on them, it is actually much harder for me to feed raw than it is kibble. I hate the feel of meat, I hate having to thaw it out, or forgetting to, I hate the flies it attracts, but I love the smaller poops, and cleaner breath.

Its more work for me to feed raw than to just scoop kibble into a bowl. I plan what my dogs are getting for a month at a time.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":1drss7v6 said:
skysthelimit":1drss7v6 said:
They also eat rabbits fur on, and have been known to steal my pelts, with no ill effects.
They will just poop that out. But i be very careful on how much you give to each dog as it can compact in there and then you are in trouble.Just like wool block in Rabbits.

The raw diet isnt all cracked up to be... But it is far better than kibble.. I also notice that allot of people going to raw because they are lazy. .. They just throw what ever ... The next thing you know they do have problems. You have to know what you are doing... And some dogs cant have raw... I have one of those dogs. I almost lots one of my dogs because of raw diet...Her liver couldnt handle that fat .. Even tho she didnt have much at all. But all dogs are differnt just like people.

That reminds me of something that happened to me In Oklahoma. We killed and scraped a good sized hog but things went slower than we planned and we were running out of daylight so we just dumped the guts on the ground and hung the hog in a tree where predators couldn't get to it. First daylight next morning I went out to check things out and I guess my old dog had spent the entire night stuffing herself on the guts. She was as round as a tick. She staggered over to me, stuck her face right up to mine and gave the loudest, longest burp you ever heard. OMG!!! I never smelled someting that awful in my life. :sick:

Belching rabbit gut breath is pretty awful too...

I gotta say too, that except one that was 15 mos old, the other dogs were either started on raw e=when they were weaned or introduced before they were 16 weeks. Some older dogs don't have the stomach enzymes to break down the meat efficiently.

My sister feeds a mix of ground turkey, rice, and pumpkin to her young dogs and puppies. I feed Taste of the Wild grain free food to my dog. And they all seem to be doing fine. I do know that poms with allergies and sensitivities will lose their hair. That is why I am feeding grain free, and it is better for him. IF he shows signs of losing hair on this he will go to a rabbit diet. I do give him some now. I know he likes to eat the rabbit heads when I butcher. Is it safe to let him have the other bones or do I need to debone the meat first?

This is why you have to do your homework on raw food... Dogs cant have just meat... They also have to have those bones to. OR you will have runny poops. To much bone you will have white poop... This topic can go on and on. There is to much to it .

What i mean by lazyness...They just throw what ever to the dogs. And say they are feeding raw. Then a month later you look at the dog. and it is in terrible shape .. They give it chicken and rabbit .. Mostly heads and by products. It is cheaper than quality kibble.. But feeding the dogs this way is making them sick. YOU REALLY HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

I cook for my dogs now.. Because of the one dog that couldnt have raw food. That is harder than raw to make sure they are getting all they need. But i have been doing this now for 8 years...

I know this is an old thread, but...
The whiteness is just that the process wont leach any odd colors to the flesh side. When you peel the slimy layer on a white skinned rabbit, it will stay a nice, white color, it wont tint it.

Latest posts

Back