Talk to me about Netherland Dwarfs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powellanimals

Reaction score
For the excitement of it, I was contemplating getting a trio of NDs to show. However, research tells me that they are not a nice breed of rabbit. Is that the case or are there mean exceptions to the breed? For example, Lionheads are generally good natured but I have had two jerk does. Is that similar with NDs or are they a mean breed overall? Can't have unpleasant rabbits with the nephews around. Thanks!

some people find them wonderful.

I know two breeders who will only sell bucks, no does whatsoever.

I know that any netherland dwarf that has come into me I call them "little growlers". It's why I chose to breed polish instead of netherlands.

I have a little buck and I think he is just a sweetheart although he does like to pull and chew clothes *It was a kids rabbit and they probably thought it was hilarious that he did it.

:D I have a sweet little ND doe. She is typical of all does of any breed, not pleasant ALL the time, and can be sassy but she's a sweety overall. I think it totally depends on the individual. A lot has to do with how they are raised and bred imo.

Every rabbit has its own personality. Netherland Dwarfs were my first breed and I raised them from 2003-2009. Out of all of them, I had maybe 2 does who would "box" your hands but none who were outright aggressive and none ever bit me. :)

I just wanted to follow up - I am now the happy owner of a few NDs and couldn't be happier with them! For that reputation, they certainly are less sassy than some of my other breeds. Very sweet, both the bucks and does, and they are from a few different breeders so it isn't just line dependent. Thank you everyone!

I've had some wonderful ND. I've also had some hop up to my arm, look at it, and then promptly punched 3 sets of holes in it. One I put my hand in front of (with plenty of space) to turn him from falling off the furniture and he just latched on. Managed to fit the length of my hand under the base of my thumb in his mouth and sink 2 grooves down. Another went over a lifted food dish to get to my hand. I had blood pour out of me more with ND than checkereds and I couldn't hit space bar with my right thumb for a week. Like I said though I had some great ND. Not just bucks. We had a doe we were going to train for a therapy animal but she is the only rabbit I've lost to pasteurella and she wasn't exposed to anything but guinea pigs from a show because she was a house pet. Hezaa was a bit less outgoing but would calmly sit with you, burrow under blankets, and produced litters of around 5 regularly with no trouble. Kido the buck liked to have a rug or towel in front of his door to lay on and we left his cage door open 24/7. He just rarely bothered to leave. I'd always see him sitting there with his little front feet tucked in. He was wonderful with the does and I sometimes used him to breed sensitive first time does of other breeds if they were freaking out too much with their bucks. I kept his grandson that was also son as a pet since he was too big to be useful for breeding. It's hit or miss with these guys because some people care to breed for temperament and some will breed anything that does the best on the show table.

Back