Taking outside rabbit inside for some hours per day?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preitler

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a young doe that I want to get used to me and being handled, so I thought to bring her inside for a few hours in the evening every other day, or so. She lives with 2 other does and a growout litter and I would make her miss the pellet ration too since she is pretty chubby already.

I was worried that she may start shedding winter fur if I do that, but on the other hand when they snuggle up in their big box it's almost as warm in there as in my living room (but rather moist).
Then I read that could lead to respiration problems (link), I don't heat too much, about 18C (64-65F), but the air is rather dry. Outside it's -2 to -10C (28-14F)
Since this doe will be the first to be bred in spring I'd rather start soon, but now I'm somewhat concerned and think I should wait for warmer weather.

Any opinions or experience with a procedure like that?

I'd wait till the inside and outside temps are closer to being the same if I were you. It will lead to respiratory problems with those kind of temperature differences.

If you can stand the cold outside, holding and petting her 5 to 10 minutes a day would quickly get her used to you.

That would be an option, but I would have to take her for a walk - although she acts like a pillow when being held I doubt she would stay calm when she hears the others munching away on the good stuff :D

Back