Suprise Box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint1776

Reaction score
I went to an auction and ended up bidding on a last minute sale that was labeled "meat Rabbits". I won two does and a buck for 2 $$ each...not a bad deal I thought. after I got home I saw the rabbits and I think I got somewhat screwed. 1) the buck(black rabbit) at least to my eyes appears to be very well "aged" on other words "OLD GEEZER" the fur is scraggly, hes not as well groomed as the other two. 2) what breed might these be? they do not appear to be meat rabbits...they look kinda small..... I am brand spanking new to rabbitry, thought I would give the auctions a shot. feedback appreciated.
IMG_20160728_141821605.jpg

IMG_20160728_141840149.jpg

IMG_20160728_141858116.jpg

Looks like some kind of dwarf.
Do you have any way to weigh them?

All rabbits are made of meat, so even if these ones wouldn't be good choices for brood stock, they could get you started with butchering or processing. Older rabbits need long slow cooking times, and maybe a few days extra to "rest" in the fridge before cooking. Brining (soaking in salt water) might be a good idea.

I'm not saying this to tell you it's wrong, because they are your animals, and you have the right to handle them as you wish.
It's just, if you are new to rabbits, then you might not be aware that many will cringe at the sight of adult animals being held only by their scruff, without their bottoms being supported.

I know, I am not the only breeder who has processed animals after such handling, and found bruise marks underneath the skin.

At $2 apiece. you didn't get gyped . . . rabbit meat is expensive to buy.

Unless you are are already fond of these, I suggest you process them for meat and look for something better. Hang out with us here for awhile and you will soon learn what to look for.

When we were about to start with meat rabbits back in 2005, my partner "surprised" me with 5 yard sale rabbits that he bought at $5 each. Three had the makings of good meat rabbits, but two of the young ones were "half-dwarf". We grew them out a bit and then ate those two. Good practice and they sure tasted good.

The others provided us with a good start raising meat mutts at a very small outlay of cash. We upgraded somewhat over the years, but one of those does was the best mother we ever had. :)

maggie i took your advice, they are now in my freezer. am going to go to auction again next week and look for something better. also gonna have to pay closer attention!

Zass":1vfkhw7s said:
I'm not saying this to tell you it's wrong, because they are your animals, and you have the right to handle them as you wish. It's just, if you are new to rabbits, then you might not be aware that many will cringe at the sight of adult animals being held only by their scruff, without their bottoms being supported. I know, I am not the only breeder who has processed animals after such handling, and found bruise marks underneath the skin.

^^ I agree. Both on holding and breed. NOWHERE have I heard picking a rabbit up by the scruff is a good idea. Rabbits are prey animals, and the natural instinct of their predators is to grab the neck. When you grab the rabbit by the nap of the neck, the rabbit feels that you are the predator and will not feel safe in your arms. Picking rabbits up by the scruff can also cause serious harm by separating the skin from the muscle or tearing the skin. Plus what Zass said with bruising. :( Also speaking from experience, I find the rabbit is much more likely to trust you if you handle it in a more....gentle position? ;) But hey, I raise pet rabbits so I'm more sentimental --not to say I care more about my rabbits than some of the meat breeders out there or that holding them this way is evil, some people just don't know what kind of damage it can cause both mental and physical....so now you know, whether you choose to take a different approach is up to you, just thought I'd put in my two cents. ;)

I would be wary of breeding rabbits picked up at an auction. You might get lucky and get some good stock, but more often than not your getting someone's castoff's. You won't have any idea if they are good mothers, if they grow well, or if they are healthy.

IMO your better off trying to find a breeder in your area who can show you growth records and who knows about the mothering abilities of their rabbits. You will pay more but if you can find stock that raises 8-10 each litter and gets close to 5lbs in around 10 weeks, you'll be alot farther ahead.

alforddm":z8ke8t6o said:
I would be wary of breeding rabbits picked up at an auction. You might get lucky and get some good stock, but more often than not your getting someone's castoff's. You won't have any idea if they are good mothers, if they grow well, or if they are healthy.

IMO your better off trying to find a breeder in your area who can show you growth records and who knows about the mothering abilities of their rabbits. You will pay more but if you can find stock that raises 8-10 each litter and gets close to 5lbs in around 10 weeks, you'll be alot farther ahead.

Or worse yet, bringing in an illness. It's so easy to do, and can make a total mess of the best laid plans.

I second alforddm. Skip the auctions and find a breeder.

Something between rabbits picked up at auction and ones you'd get from an ARBA breeder with show possibilities should work for you if what you want is to grow your own meat. Is there any way to find someone in your area who is doing that? They could well have reasonable priced rabbits that could get you started. Seems to me that some people just start with any rabbits they can find regardless of health or type and others look for perfect or winning rabbits. Somewhere between there are rabbits that are "good enough" for your purpose and can be improved toward your breeding goals over time.

Auctions to me are dumping grounds. I would look on craigslist for a local breeder.

thankyou all for the good advice. I have since checked craigslist, and found several people that breed rabbits one only minutes from my house! I think I will forgo the auction and start from the beginning with good stock. and hopefully lfewer hassles

Easy Ears":12heqjmx said:
Zass":12heqjmx said:
I'm not saying this to tell you it's wrong, because they are your animals, and you have the right to handle them as you wish. It's just, if you are new to rabbits, then you might not be aware that many will cringe at the sight of adult animals being held only by their scruff, without their bottoms being supported. I know, I am not the only breeder who has processed animals after such handling, and found bruise marks underneath the skin.

^^ I agree. Both on holding and breed. NOWHERE have I heard picking a rabbit up by the scruff is a good idea.
This is all I've ever been told is to pick them up like that. That's how I grab them when they are in the cage and I usually begin to lift them like that But I carry them in a football position with one hand holding the scruff gently *Enough that if they tried to run I could prevent it but not enough to hurt anyone.* I've never heard holding them by the scruff is bad. I've actually heard somewhere that it's the recommended way to hold them. I usually carry any babies in a laundry basket with a towel in the bottom *Very effective for mass transport* or for the bigger ones the football hold <br /><br /> __________ August 2nd, 2016, 9:57 am __________ <br /><br />
Flint1776":12heqjmx said:
thankyou all for the good advice. I have since checked craigslist, and found several people that breed rabbits one only minutes from my house! I think I will forgo the auction and start from the beginning with good stock. and hopefully lfewer hassles

May I ask what State your in? Kinda curious as to whether your near me or not.

Back