Supply suggestions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So I don't actually have an issue right now, but I thought starting something like this could help more than just me. I am working on setting up an emergency kit for my rabbits, and I started thinking about all the different things I could put in it. I was wondering what you all would also suggest. Right now I have plain antibiotic ointment, bandage wrap, rubbing alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide. I also have a tiny bottle set that my mom got me when my hampster died and orphaned 6 babies, do you think I should add it too in case I have a doe die and a different doe can't take any? It has 3 nipple options with the largest being suggested for kittens, and the smallest for mice and hampster. What other supplies would y'all suggest I add?

rabbit-first-aid-kit-and-supplies-t9890.html

Very good thread about first aid kits :)

You might want to include an electrolyte solution and any ingredients needed for the formula recipe you prefer. For electrolytes, I like PediaLyte only because most feed store products contain artificial colors and you can get PediaLyte without those. The bottle kit you have sounds good, and you may also consider adding some small (1 or 3ml) slip tip syringes for formula feeding.

Peroxide is good to have, but is not appropriate for all types of wounds so it may be good to add an alternative disinfectant. Chlorhexidine is great for just about everything, but iodine is good to have as well. Sterile saline is useful for flushing eyes.

Recent VFD regs have made it harder for folks to get ABs and other meds, but if you're able to/have a good relationship with your vet it never hurts to keep some penicillin on hand. Ivermectin is also very useful for a wide range of parasites and should not be affected by VFD's.

I really like herbs, and keep as much as I can grow on hand and have a local source for less common ones if needed.

If you're interested, great herb links here:

https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/0 ... r-rabbits/
effects-of-herbs-for-rabbits-t14508.html

It sounds like you're on the right track! Basically, my go-to med kit amounts to a double-cabinet full of items accrued over time that are appropriate for the dogs, rabbits, and cat :D Emphasis on the over time part...lots of trial/error/learning and adding items as able to get to where it is now!

Thanks. I have some herbs on hand (mint and rosemary) but I'm waiting to make my real herb garden when I actually get around to setting my rabbits up how I am wanting to. Then I'm going to make an herb boarder around the outer edge of my rabbit set up to discourage pests, as well as have the herbs to use for the rabbits. I have also found that dollar tree is a great place to get emergency supplies, because it carries the basic things. It's the place were I found regular ointment with nothing added to it such as itch or pain relief.

The most common medicine we use around here is Ivermectin paste. It's a horse wormer and apple flavored and we put a dab on the bunnies when they have ear mites or wool mites. Clears it right up. It's sold at the feed store and is around $5 for a tube of it. It's one dose for a horse but lasts for a long time when using it on bunnies.

Otherwise, there's Penicillin G in the refrigerator along with really small needles. It has to be injected and into muscle and not the bloodstream. That's for major bacterial infections, we don't use it often. If you just have one or two rabbits, I'd not recommend keeping it on hand but getting it when you need it.

We're more based on keeping them healthy than fixing them when they're sick. They get a 'treat' of calf manna, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and a bit of rolled oats along with their organic alfalfa pellets and as much fresh forage as I can gather for them. They're about half fresh forage and the rest organic pellets with the treat for conditioning. We had to switch to organic if we wanted to get baby bunnies, but not everyone is trying to breed their bunnies.

I've got Pen G in the refrigerator and needles in my cabinet, ivermectin pour on for mites of any sort, and blue-kote in the barn. That's more of a necessary accumulation than anything I thought of for preventative, lol. I've used the Ivermectin and the Blue-Kote the most, but the Pen G is important when you need it too.

I also HAVE to have ivermectin in my bun first aid kit. I would definitely suggest a injectable antibiotic also. I even have subcutaneous fluids just in case I get a dehydrated bun.

These are all wonderful suggestions. Thank you all. I will look around the shop next time I go to buy feed. It's a farm/pet/veterinary supply shop

Latest posts

Back