Supplements for Thin Bunnies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Willow

Reaction score
At the moment half of our rabbits are thin, and have rough, patchy coats due to only being partly shed out.

I don't quite understand how they could have lost so much condition though- they are fed a large amount of pellets in the morning, get grass throughout the day, and veggies etc. in the evening. There is always hay available for them to have a nibble on too.

The three that are the worst are a year old dutch buck and two Netherland Dwarfs- one of whom eats hardly anything. Yesterday I went and picked up some crushed flax seed (was going to try it on my older horse anyway, so thought it might benefit the rabbits too?) in the hope that it might improve their coat condition and overall health. But is there anything else I should be doing/feeding them? I'm stumped >.<

Black oil sunflower seeds sold in the big bags for birds. They have more kcals than any grain or pretty much any supplement and they help with coat quality. It may cause a molt when you first put them on it. It works even better when paired with flaxseed because sunflower seeds are high in omega 6 which is actually inflammatory and flaxseed is high in omega 3 that balances 6. There are also other nutrients that make the 2 compliment each other and produce better results. Flax may be too small for your rabbits to eat though. Some won't touch it. It works better to get the oil (I get a horse coat supplement oil that has other oils in it but you can find pure flax in many places) and pour a bit across their feed.

Latest posts

Back