Supplemented Light or Not

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckyHare

Reaction score
I have a question - What does everyone think about supplementing light for the rabbits? This is my first winter with rabbits and I'm not having much luck with breedings. I've checked the normal stuff: feed, rabbit, matings - What about light? I have a garage set-up with normal windows but still lots of shade. I don't want to re-invent the sun inside but: How much extra would be needed? Wattage? Cool Bulb or Plant Bulb? Does it even help? Just thinking :? - Thanks in Advance. Mike

I just literally leave the one rabbitry lightbulb on from the time it's dusk until I go to bed. Had my first doe miss just last month, which out of 30 ND breedings, isn't bad! All my does took this round. Put three more into breeding this week, we'll see how they do.

I've heard it helps and I've heard it makes no difference. I've never seen any study of lighting for rabbits. Shaded Night has a sensible approach... Why not try something similar and see if it makes a difference.

Does may be more likely to breed on a nice sunny morning. I've noticed when the days are short that my rabbits seem more chipper with sunshine coming in the windows than on a dingy morning. This is independent of actual temperature.

I used to leave the light on in the darker months to simulate
the amount of light you get on the longest summer day.
About 16 hours per day. I no longer do that,
I do sometimes leave the light on for a few hours
but that is usually due to the fact that I am working in the rabbitry
from early am when it is still quite dark out.
I find that my rabbits seem to due just fine without the added 16 hours of light.
I breed my rabbits year-round and they raise their kits to weaning.
What one chooses to do in any given situation is their choice.
Try things and see what works best for you.
Ottersatin.

Back