sun flowers

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelsummer

Reaction score
i hear alot about sunflowers seeds but can you feed any other part of them? I am planning to plant some for seeds next year but do i have to cook them or can they be fed raw? also what about dandylions? i was gonna keep some growing over the winter in my house for some fresh feed but i am now not sure what is safe and what is not. i keep getting conflicting stories. :?

Dandelions are a great green for bunnies.

Sunflowers too! Leaves, stems, flowers, seeds... the buns love them all. Sunflower seeds are best fed raw. They can also be sprouted for winter fresh food.

Take a look at the Safe Plants sticky and if you are not sure of a plant's identity, you can google it using the provided botanical name. Wikipedia has great information for plant identification, with pictures.

Butter/boston or romaine lettuce is very easy to grow inside. I've also grown bluegrass in plastic storage tubs under a plant light. Most anything can be sprouted easily inside. I buy a mix of bean, sunflower, clover, and radish sprouts for the parakeets which the rabbits and sugar gliders also love. For feeding rabbits you'd have to sprout your own because store bought sprouts are way too expensive for that.
This site lists lots of safe things to sprout and how to do it http://www.landofvos.com/articles/sprouts.html .

really, you get romaine to grow inside? hmmn, I may have to try that. I haven't got much light here in the PNW...but fresh lettuce in winter? I might drag out lights for that.

Back