Summer ear?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
One of my new little NZs has larger ears than the other two, only slightly, but they are larger. The last few days haven't been crazy hot, to me, anyhow, but it has been decently warm, and her ears are curling down on the tips. Is there anything that could cause this besides summer ear? Just want to make sure she's all good. She seems healthy to me...just the curly ears, and they have been hanging lower, in a v, or with one flopped down. Just want to make sure I'm not missing a disease or nutritional problem or something...

There is some thought that drooping ear tips can be caused by the rabbit growing too fast... cartilage can't support the weight of the ear. I've also heard a theory that it is due to a shortage of Vitamin E. You could feed a little wheat germ (about 2 teaspoons a day) or wheat germ oil (5-6 drops a day) for a week or two, but I think you'll find the problem corrects itself soon enough without this.

I've seen that with 3 or 4 of our NZ kits. Usually with a kit who has the broad big ears as opposed to the ones with narrower ears. Seems to straighten up after a couple of weeks. They never seem to develop any problems or diseases...just those cute floppy ears :)

Oh, okay. Yeah, she has broad ears, where her half sisters both have the narrow ears. I will feed some wheat germ, I am sure it can't hurt :)

And it IS adorable....she looks kinda like a puppy :D

On the question of wheat germ... go easy. I have heard that some rabbits find it quite laxative. Sorry I forgot to mention that before.

I've never has a problem with mine but it's been a while since I've given them wheat germ. I suggest maybe one teaspoon to start, until you see how she does with it. It won't harm her... it's not enough to cause real problems... but who needs to be messing with poopy butt rabbits if it can be helped.

Psoroptes cuniculi, is one of the most painful and unpleasant infestations by mites of your rabbit can suffer. When Gypsy came to us as a stray dog abandoned. A single injection of ivermectin (which was in the days before selamectin) killed the parasites, and the Gypsy was completely healed in a week, but his ears suffered permanent scarring and thickening of his ordeal.

This does not sound like Psoroptes cuniculi (ear mites) to me. What we are looking at here is the tendency of some young rabbits to have ear tips that curl or look wilted. Ear mites are quite a different problem.

definately not mites. Ears on all the rabbits are clean and healthy, and I do daily "health checks", since abbits are notorious for hiding illnesses. LOL. ears are no longer curled (and I didn't get a picture, drat!) but are still tending to droop. makes for a funny looking girl! :D Think I'll be sad When it all evens out and she gets upright ears again :p

Ears on all the rabbits are clean and healthy, it is such a very best way to keep it healthy. Your information is such a very best and too much good for getting good idea about the rabbit.

Back