Summer breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinipela

Reaction score
I have a 7 month doe that had her first litter last night. She gave birth to 1 doa kit. My question is do I breed her right away. I heard that it's a good time to but I am worried about the summer months ahead. Do you guys breed during the summer.

Could you please clarify, and put your location in your profile to aide in the advice (stealing MaggieJ's thunder).
Did the doe only kindle one kit and it was born DOA; and thus you currently have no kits? Or did she kindle a litter of two or more kits and of that litter there was one kit that was born DOA? <br /><br /> -- Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:47 pm -- <br /><br /> If it is the first situation, rebreeding is a possibility to consider. Depending on your particular setup and/or location (hence the need for your location on your profile :D ) you may want to avoid summer breeding so you do not have the added stress of pregnancy in addition to the stress of a hot summer.

If you are in an area with a mild summer, or your rabbits are in a temperature controlled area, or if your rabbits handle the heat well, or if you want to take the chance; then rebreeding could be an option.

If it is the second situation, the doe has a litter she is taking care of, you might want to consider waiting to rebreed. I personally like to give my does some time off between litters, 2-3 months. Although I have rebred as early as 2 weeks after kindling due to special circumstances. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with breeding back right away (many people have had the surprise litter plus a second surprise litter a month later because the buck bred the doe the day she kindled). It won't kill your doe or anything (it is similar to what occurs naturally in the wild).

The other thing to consider is heat sterility. If your bucks are exposed to high temperature (e.g., temperatures in the 90's for a few days or so) they can become sterile and you have to wait awhile until they are no longer shooting blanks.

At this point I am taking a break from breeding as I don't like the possibility of the added stress from pregnancy and the hot weather causing heat stroke on my breeding does. Generally I want my last litter to be kindled sometime in May, and then I'll stop breeding until it cools off, generally early to late September.

2CrazyFools":2eq02htc said:
At this point I am taking a break from breeding as I don't like the possibility of the added stress from pregnancy and the hot weather causing heat stroke on my breeding does. Generally I want my last litter to be kindled sometime in May, and then I'll stop breeding until it cools off, generally early to late September.

Same here .... Nothing after the calendar turns to June , just too stressful for them when they already have to deal with the next 100-120 days being 90+.

We are also taking a break from breeding, but we do live in South Texas where the heat is sweltering and our rabbits live outside. There are many factors determining what breeding seasons should be, and also consider your bunny may not be done having kits. We have had some 24 hrs apart. And several others have experienced that too. I would at least wait a couple of days if you do rebreed to ensure she's not pregnant with more....

macksmom98":1aub2ffy said:
We are also taking a break from breeding, but we do live in South Texas where the heat isn't sweltering and our rabbits live outside. There are many factors determining what breeding seasons should be, and also consider your bunny may not be done having kits. We have had some 24 hrs apart. And several others have experienced that too. I would at least wait a couple of days if you do rebreed to ensure she's not pregnant with more....

This .....

I'm in the Windsor, Ontario area of Canada and we get hot and humid in the summers here.... 90+ with very high humidity.... I did my last breeding for the summer May 24... then I bred one more doe last week... (I'm an idiot sometimes) ... no more till the fall!!

I breed all summer long. i have a very hard time getting litters in the winter, so my season goes from March to October/November. All my rabbits are from my region, barns without climate control.

Thank you all for great advice. I live in California in the high desert. It gets hot during the summer. I will decently wait till fall. Well she still felt like she was fat the morning after. I tried to feel to see if there was anymore but didn't feel anything moving. Yesterday she gave birth to 3 more dead ones. I'm so confused. This has never happened before.

Thank you all for great advice. I live in California in the high desert. It gets hot during the summer. I will decently wait till fall. Well she still felt like she was fat the morning after. I tried to feel to see if there was anymore but didn't feel anything moving. Yesterday she gave birth to 3 more dead ones. I'm so confused. This has never happened before.

Back