Sulfur and Borax against cocci?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
With all the rain we have been having my chicken pen started to get damp enough inside for me to start worrying about my young chickens getting cocci and, as I had both sulfur and borax to hand, I put lots of both down in the pen.

I don't know if either, or both, will prevent it in the soil but it should do and, so far, the young chickens are in super form.

It got me wondering if it would work in a rabbit colony as cocci is such a killer.

If I was not as busy as a one-armed paperhanger I would get the microscope out and have a look but as it is, I am lunging from one spinning plate to the next.

The chicks are in fine fettle so either it worked or they were fine already but if it did help, it might be worth it to try in conditions of risk. Anything that can help against the horror of death by cocci is worth trying!

It's an interesting idea, GBov, and I hope it works.

Are there any toxicity concerns using borax? I spent a little time last evening trying to check it out, but ended up more confused than anything else.

This site seems to have a lot of information.
https://crunchybetty.com/getting-to-the ... fe-or-not/

One thing it mentions is the combination of borax and sulfur causing a change in the chemical formula. I'm half a century beyond my last Chemistry class, and I didn't understand all the implications. But I did just want to draw your attention to it, since rabbits might be more sensitive than chickens.

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm This has some good information on borax.

I really do not know if toxicity in a combo would be a problem with bunnies but as I take it as a supplement and use sulfur for many things, mainly my toes lately :roll: it hasn't hurt anyone here yet. Not saying it can't, just that it hasn't.

Borax rubbed into the two carpets in the house here finally sorted the flea problem as well. I don't' vacuum - sweeping is so much quieter - so it just stays in there, killing fleas. :cool:

Thank you for the article, I will read it tonight, always learning is the best way to be!

If you use it on carpets and you have cats, chances are pretty good it won't harm rabbits. Cats and rabbits seem to share a lot of sensitivities.

Just thought of something. The reputed best killer of cocci is ammonia. You might want to think if it would be useful or not in a colony.

Edited to add:
Very interesting and informative article, GBov. I need to read it a second time, but I am intrigued by the possibilities. :)

Back