Sudden change in pellet brand?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
Sudden because I ran out and we live far from everywhere and so I had to buy at a different feed store, so food is from different mill.

I have none of the usual stuff left.
Is this a problem to just switch?

It could be a problem. It could upset tummies, depending on how delicate your buns are and how much of their diet is made up of pellets.

I would recommend giving lots and lots of hay and fresh water and only a very small ration of the new pellets for several days if you can, to minimise any potential impact of the sudden switch.

You might also look at the ingrediants list if they are similar they are less likely to cause upset than if they are very different. For example if both list alfalfa as the main ingredients vs "forage products".

Back when I fed pellets, I had to sometimes buy a different brand, for the same reasons as you mentioned, Lori. I never experienced a problem, but it less than ideal to make a sudden switch.

I think that mykari's suggestion to feed hay in generous amounts and fewer of the new pellets than usual is good advice. You could also buy a bag of large-flake (old-fashioned) kitchen oatmeal to feed with the pellets. It is very digestible. If you feed greens regularly, they can also be used to "dilute" the impact of the pellet change.

Hope all goes well! :good-luck:

What are the two brands? I had to switch between Purina and Shur-Gain here.

Latest posts

Back