Such waste.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All of my rabbits have J-Feeders the pregnant does, and grow outs have a large feeders 2 1/2lbs, the bucks, and non-pregnant does have small feeders not sure how much the small ones hold. For the past few months I have noticed that instead of their normal digging in the feeder to move the pellets into the bowl, they dig, take a bite, dig, take another bite, then dig, dig, dig until literally there is an entire feeders worth of pellets in the drop pans. This happens everyday, and since we just did a big feed switch the stuff we're getting now just costs way too much for a good 70% of it to be wasted.

What's a good way to discourage this behavior so we can stop wasting feed?

HansenHomestead":3uhkd15s said:
All of my rabbits have J-Feeders the pregnant does, and grow outs have a large feeders 2 1/2lbs, the bucks, and non-pregnant does have small feeders not sure how much the small ones hold. For the past few months I have noticed that instead of their normal digging in the feeder to move the pellets into the bowl, they dig, take a bite, dig, take another bite, then dig, dig, dig until literally there is an entire feeders worth of pellets in the drop pans. This happens everyday, and since we just did a big feed switch the stuff we're getting now just costs way too much for a good 70% of it to be wasted.

What's a good way to discourage this behavior so we can stop wasting feed?

Did it start around the time you transitioned to the new feed? Maybe they liked the old stuff better and are digging the new stuff out in hopes of finding something else underneath?

No, they've been doing it for a few months, and we only made the switch yesterday. This new food is SO much better. It's the same feed that DBA uses, and he has great looking buns, and grow out times. The stuff we first had them only in my opinion was only good enough to keep them alive, but adding nothing of value to their diets, or production.

I read on this forum at some point regarding drilling a hole on each side of the J-feeder and running a wire; I think it was MammaSheepdog.

Knacker":77r03q06 said:
I read on this forum at some point regarding drilling a hole on each side of the J-feeder and running a wire; I think it was MammaSheepdog.

Miss M uses wire, I use all-threaded bolts with a locking nut on one side and a regular one on the other end so I can remove the rod if necessary for some reason.

Another thing you can do is place a golfball in the trough- or multiple balls if it is a wide feeder.

Most people, myself included, mount their feeders with the opening too low, which allows easy digging... the bottom of the trough should be placed at 4" at the minimum.

Back