"Subcontracting" bunnies to sell as pets?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
So I have this batch of bunnies for sale as pets; a gentleman came over with his daughters to pick out the two they will want when they are weaned. The rabbits left are all bucks...except one doe.

One of his daughters fell head over heels for the doe. So they reserved a buck and doe. I suggested separate hutches since they do not plan to spay or neuter (the risks of anesthesia are too high for them to want to try it) but he showed me pictures of the hutch he built, and it's for sure big enough for like FIVE rabbits, so plenty big for two. I warned him that they WILL breed when old enough.

He shrugged and said "That's fine, the girls will love having baby bunnies around."

I made him aware of all the myriad of things that can go wrong with breeding (including losing the doe, losing the kits, losing the doe AND kits, et cetera) and he said that the girls know they are both pets AND livestock and that he wants them to know that sometimes things happen, et cetera.

When I mentioned that he'll soon be up to his neck in baby bunnies, he shrugged and said, "You'll take 'em, right?" I started to say I don't buy bunnies and he cut me off and "No, I mean I'll just give them to you. We won't want them. You can sell them as pets, right? Or whatever." Basically he's wanting this as a little fun experiment with cute babies for his daughters to play with.

I have to admit, I think I'm okay with this. His girls will get all the cuteness they can stand, I'll possibly get batches of cute babies to sell, and lord knows their rabbits will be super-socialized and tame.

This would be a golden opportunity for me to actually get out of Netherlands altogether, which means I can get rid of the doe I don't like, and have extra cage space for my Mini Rex.

I just wanted to ask your thoughts on this before I agree to take all unwanted bunnies, LOL. And yes, I do have a "backup" plan for any that don't sell...and I also have a space set up for the babies so that they don't mingle with my herd while I have them. In some ways I feel a little bad about it, because I'll be profiting off of their "work," but when I said something to that effect the gentleman said he doesn't want the hassle of finding homes or whatever, he just wants to have the cute babies and then get rid of them, and I'm the most convenient person for it. When I hesitated more, he said "Just groom my dog for like five dollars off for each litter, that way we're even." LOL SOLD, because I love his dog and even with five off, the dog is well worth it to groom at that price.

My dad overheard and said "So wait a minute, you are subcontracting bunnies now?" We all got a good laugh out of that but....yeah maybe, in a way...............

Well, dog breeders do it all the time and it works for them. The breeders I mean. With dogs often the purchasers/puppy suppliers are taken advantage of by the breeders. However, if it is their idea and you have plenty of buyers and/or freezer space, the only problem I can see is that doe is constantly pregnant or nursing. Will a doe thrive in this situation?

Not sure I'd get involved with this. If it sounds too good to be true..... 99% of the time it is.

I bet this guy will get tired of buying rabbit food & hay, having poo on his property and his kids will soon lose interest.

Also if they get any diseases and then bring the young ones back to your house you might really regret it.

Can you imagine how many brother/sisters are going to breed together? Aren't the two that you are selling to them in the same litter? Not good if you want good traits in your rabbits.

I imagine his kids will want to play with the first couple litters that they have and then will soon loose interest....... or they will have hundreds on their hands and hope that you will take them.

Breed your own, sell your own and pocket the profits. I wouldn't get involved with this guy unless he just wants to buy two of your bunnies.

My 2-cents..........

Schipperkesue":1egg0dwg said:
Well, dog breeders do it all the time and it works for them. The breeders I mean. With dogs often the purchasers/puppy suppliers are taken advantage of by the breeders. However, if it is their idea and you have plenty of buyers and/or freezer space, the only problem I can see is that doe is constantly pregnant or nursing. Will a doe thrive in this situation?

I was wondering that too...he asked about what to feed them and I'm worried the doe might get skinny and the buck might get fat, since I think they'll be feeding a LOT. :p I recommended a "season off" (I don't breed in Winter at all so it's like a vacation) and he said he might consider a "divider" in the hutch that is removable for summer. But he's not sure yet.

I bet this guy will get tired of buying rabbit food & hay, having poo on his property and his kids will soon lose interest.

The poop is one of the reasons he was so compliant with his daughters' desire to have bunnies...he does a lot of landscaping work and in-ground sprinkler systems and wants a steady stream of rabbit poop as fertilizer. :)

As for kids losing interest, I have a lifelong take-back with no-questions-asked policy. If they decide they don't want them any more, they come back to me. :)

Also if they get any diseases and then bring the young ones back to your house you might really regret it.

That was my first thought...so all babies will live in the quarantine area in my garage instead of rabbit shed out back. :)

Can you imagine how many brother/sisters are going to breed together? Aren't the two that you are selling to them in the same litter? Not good if you want good traits in your rabbits.

They are siblings but I'm pretty sure they're of two different bucks, so half-siblings. I have no issues with inbreeding/linebreeding, to be honest.

I imagine his kids will want to play with the first couple litters that they have and then will soon loose interest....... or they will have hundreds on their hands and hope that you will take them.

He doesn't plan on keeping kits past about six to eight weeks; and if they have hundreds, I'll take 'em all. :)

Breed your own, sell your own and pocket the profits. I wouldn't get involved with this guy unless he just wants to buy two of your bunnies.

Part of the reason I'm considering this situation is because I know the guy. :) He's been a family friend forever, a dog grooming client since they got their dog seven years ago, and he routinely helps my dad and I with home repairs, yard stuff, et cetera. He helped my dad and I re-tile the kitchens both at our house, and the condo...he's installing an in-ground sprinkler system for us right now...and I can go to his house and see his rabbits anytime I want so long as someone is home. ;) If it was just some stranger I don't know, I wouldn't even consider it, period. :p

It could work but they do realize breeding is about as dangerous as anesthesia that they didn't want to do... It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Unless it's just an excuse for not neutering. Not that I have a problem with people who don't want to neuter. It's expensive and usually unnecessary. I do suggest spaying pet does because of hormones but if they are bred frequently they tend to have less of a hormonal roller coaster. It just depends what their temperament is like while bred and nursing. Some do get grumpier. You should tell them that breeding back to back is potentially hard on the doe and she may need extra supplements like BOSS, oats, or vegetable oils. I roll the pellets in a horse coat supplement that is a mix of soy, flax, and sunflower oil. A doe can handle constant breeding if she has the right genes and good food. My creme d'argent was a huge pain when not bred and would tear down colony dividers to get to bucks so I just let her keep breeding. For several years she produced back to back except in the summer heat when the bucks went sterile. She was never skinny but I free fed pellets or oats and rich clover hay free choice to the colonies. The bucks didn't get very fat because they were running around chasing the does or digging little indents in the bedding. Bucks love to dig small holes. Sometimes they forget about a new doe because they are busy digging holes. :lol:

I think it is a great idea. I love raising the babies, it's my favorite part. If I didn't need the money to cover my costs, I'd have no problems raising them to 6-8 weeks and then letting someone else sell them. I'd certainly not have a problem with selling litters from people that enjoyed raising the babies and interacted with them a lot.

So wait.
They raise them, pay to feed them, and socialize them.
You get to take the 8 week old kits, cull the psycotic, unhealthy, or otherwise unsellable rabbits. (and I believe you have mentioned uses for such rabbits before)

The rest you get to sell at 100% profit?
So long as you quarantine them from your own rabbits I don't see a problem. I mean, it's not like you have anything to lose here.
I think for most of us on here, the raising is the fun part and the selling is often the worst, and with that in mind, it's not a setup I would personally enjoy.
But if you don't mind selling them (or sending them along to freezer camp)

It almost sounds too good to be true.

I have to agree with Zass. You know what you'd have to do to keep your herd safe. You are able to do those things. So, you lose...how? Even if you sell the kits for rock bottom pet prices, sell two and pay for a bag of feed? I'd do it.

It could work but they do realize breeding is about as dangerous as anesthesia that they didn't want to do... It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The difference being that if they lose a rabbit to anesthesia, they still owe the vet $300+ for the surgery, whereas losing a doe to kindling is basically out the costs of the rabbit and the feed bill. I hate to say it, but the vet care in this area is largely abhorrent...only two vets I know of who will see rabbits, and the cheaper of the two is many hundreds of dollars for neutering. Which IMO is insane. :p

My biggest concern is how badly the doe has been a mother...I worry about parental instincts being hereditary. But I did warn him of that and he wasn't deterred.

So wait.
They raise them, pay to feed them, and socialize them.
You get to take the 8 week old kits, cull the psycotic, unhealthy, or otherwise unsellable rabbits. (and I believe you have mentioned uses for such rabbits before)

The rest you get to sell at 100% profit?

Yep, that's the long and short of it. Yup, plenty of uses for culls. :)

I think for most of us on here, the raising is the fun part and the selling is often the worst, and with that in mind, it's not a setup I would personally enjoy.
But if you don't mind selling them (or sending them along to freezer camp)

To be honest raising IS the most fun, but I so rarely sell anything I breed. I either keep or cull, usually. Unfortunately in my area my breeds of choice are not desireable as pets. These little cute pet thingies are pretty in-demand. Just not MY personal preference. ;) So I'll keep breeding/raising my own, too. :) Got a litter of new Mini Rex actually, and am hoping my tort Dutch doe is pregnant too, wheeee! :)

It almost sounds too good to be true.

That's what scares me and why I posted here...to see if anyone can poke holes in the idea. If there's something I'm overlooking, better to know it now than later, you know?

I have to agree with Zass. You know what you'd have to do to keep your herd safe. You are able to do those things. So, you lose...how? Even if you sell the kits for rock bottom pet prices, sell two and pay for a bag of feed? I'd do it.

It would be nice to have a buffer, so I'm not rolling change every time I need pellets or struggling to get groom dogs in on time so I can buy pellets on time. :p

If it works for all parties it's cool. It wouldn't be my preference BUT I don't have to deal with it.
Sometimes I think the best thing about rabbits is there's no 'one true way' to do anything, just what works best for the individual.

Kyle@theHeathertoft
The poop is one of the reasons he was so compliant with his daughters' desire to have bunnies...he does a lot of landscaping work and in-ground sprinkler systems and wants a steady stream of rabbit poop as fertilizer. :)

As for kids losing interest, I have a lifelong take-back with no-questions-asked policy. If they decide they don't want them any more, they come back to me.

I would have to have a totally separate area for "brought back bunnies" as once they leave your place, you have lost control of the health and disease risks.

I do, though. My rabbits are kept in a lean-to out in the far back corner of of the property. All quarantine buns are kept in the garage. When I feed/water, I always do the lean-to first, then go wash my hands and stuff inside before heading to the garage for the quarantine buns. I hate to say it but the loss of a quarantine bun to whatever my rabbits may be naturally carrying is preferrable to the loss of my whole herd. :p

I'm also not fond of rehoming rabbits returned to me. I tend to cull. I actually will take ANY rabbit from prettymuch ANYONE, though I'm up front: they will probably be stew. :p I keep them in quarantine for a while anyways either way. These hypothetical baby bunnies would live in the cage block in the garage and never see my lean-to. They will either be sold as pets, or culled. :)

sounds like a good plan overall.

He's helping his children learn a valuable skill.
He's helping YOUR bottom line.
He's being responsible for the end result of his breeding (giving them to you).

If they are the only two rabbits he has, then you don't have to worry about quarantine and can just sell the kits (or have a cage set aside just for the kits of those buns to go into).

It sounds like a win-win situation to me.

My only concern is that he only has one hutch. I don't know how well a colony type setting would work in a relatively confined area like that.

I would suggest that he partitions off part of it to either keep the doe from getting bred back right after kindling or to separate the kits from the doe at 3-1/2 weeks so she doesn't have to deal with them when she kindles the next batch. The problem with that plan is that the doe may not take it very well when the buck moves back into "her" space.

It might be better to have him build another hutch for the kits to be in for the time they stay after weaning before you get them. That way, assuming you get the kits at seven to eight weeks, the next litter (if bred back to back) will be ready to move in making the girls more willing to part with the older ones. I would keep the growout pen fairly small so the kits are easy for the girls to catch and handle.

I think it sounds like a great idea. Hopefully it will all go smoothly. Maybe you can offer to come by and tell the kids how to prepare the nesting space, and put the nest box in and make sure she doesn't have the babies outside the nest box etc... I would love it if someone would sell my baby bunnies for me, I find that one of the hardest parts.

Back