Register

Stupid rabbit or maybe it's stupid me

Understand why your rabbits behave the way they do - and what you can do about it.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Re: Stupid rabbit or maybe it's stupid me

Post Number:#16  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Tiny Buns wrote:
heritage wrote:I would hesitate culling knowing how hormonal she is right now. I have one that was spastic when I got her, instantly raised to be bred when she was finally out of quarantine (she actually fell out of the hutch trying to get to the buck 2 holes down), really mellowed out during pregnancy, went crazy again right when they were born, and has mellowed out again with 3 week old kits. Totally a toss up. I vote you let her be, feed and water her, let her raise up the kits, then decide... she shouldn't need to be handled much at all for those few weeks, right? Then work with the kits as much as you can to keep them tame and see how they do. Now, if it's a bust of a delivery? Easier answer...

Hormonal or not, this pregnancy has seen me bitten with increasing severity 3 times. I'm not feeling patient. :|

Oh I understand completely! If that's the case then have dinner out of her and be done with it... I was under the impression you were somewhat weighing the options, but maybe not... do what you feel you need to do!
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

The following user would like to thank FourRingCircus for this post
Tiny Buns

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:18 pm

I raise Rex and Satins. The only rabbit I have ever had lunge at me was a doe named Evil Blue (who is on the pedigree of some of Ramjet's rabbits, lol!), and it was when she was pregnant or had just kindled- I don't remember for sure.

I was very new to rabbits when I had her (she was out of my first litters), so there may be something to the thought that they pick up on a lack of confidence.

My Rex are normally very docile and sweet, but the Satins are another story. If I am all scratched up, I can guarantee it is from the Satins unless I have been handling very young junior Rex.

But! Though the Satins are scratchers, it is because they are more high strung and perhaps more fearful of being carried. They are not mean.

I have NEVER had a caged rabbit bite me.

I doubt I would tolerate it in a meat rabbit, and I definitely would not want that behavior in a pet breed.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
Tiny Buns

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,366.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Tiny Buns » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:42 pm

heritage wrote:
Tiny Buns wrote:
heritage wrote:I would hesitate culling knowing how hormonal she is right now. I have one that was spastic when I got her, instantly raised to be bred when she was finally out of quarantine (she actually fell out of the hutch trying to get to the buck 2 holes down), really mellowed out during pregnancy, went crazy again right when they were born, and has mellowed out again with 3 week old kits. Totally a toss up. I vote you let her be, feed and water her, let her raise up the kits, then decide... she shouldn't need to be handled much at all for those few weeks, right? Then work with the kits as much as you can to keep them tame and see how they do. Now, if it's a bust of a delivery? Easier answer...

Hormonal or not, this pregnancy has seen me bitten with increasing severity 3 times. I'm not feeling patient. :|

Oh I understand completely! If that's the case then have dinner out of her and be done with it... I was under the impression you were somewhat weighing the options, but maybe not... do what you feel you need to do!

:lol: do what ya need to do. Holy crap I laughed so hard. Thank you for that. :D

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,950.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Zinnia » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:08 pm

Someone here suggested correcting learned poor behavior by holding their head down (not aggressively, but firmly). There have been hormonal aggressive does I've used this method with. It has worked well for me. I follow it up with a gentle scratch (similar to a dominant rabbit grooming) to show them I'm boss, but not a threat. Sorry about your injuries!

The following user would like to thank Zinnia for this post
Tiny Buns

Canada Female

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Tiny Buns » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:19 am

Zinnia wrote:Someone here suggested correcting learned poor behavior by holding their head down (not aggressively, but firmly). There have been hormonal aggressive does I've used this method with. It has worked well for me. I follow it up with a gentle scratch (similar to a dominant rabbit grooming) to show them I'm boss, but not a threat. Sorry about your injuries!

Thank you. I've actually been doing this for a long time. Not working :cry:

-- Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:19 am --

Day 34--no kits

Thank you everyone for all your thoughtful contributions. I certainly appreciate the wealth of the knowledge pool in this community.

Somehow despite being a confident and firm rabbit wrangler, this particular doe has failed to get with the program. It's a steep learning curve but I'm a quick study.

I am not a big fan of culling healthy animals and so initially I was on the fence, but after many excellent points, I decided this one isn't emotionally or mentally healthy and needs to go. I wish I could pet her out but she is too unpredictable.

So as DH has started calling her, Dinner has 24 hrs to have some babies or into the stew pot she goes.

BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby macksmom98 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Dinner:). What a fitting name! Seriously tho, I am sure you made the right choice.

The following user would like to thank macksmom98 for this post
Tiny Buns

Canada Female

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Tiny Buns » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:16 pm

You know it's funny. I realized today that if it were my dog that bit one of the family (in an unprovoked attack) hard enough to need stitches I'd put the dog down. If it bit a friend's child, a baby, a stranger--I'd have no choice but to put it down. Sad but true. So I decided it was madness to allow this rabbit to repeatedly bite me, hard and deep. I don't enjoy culling but I came to feel it was necessary.
Last edited by Tiny Buns on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank Tiny Buns for this post
Zass

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,916.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby ladysown » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:15 pm

Tiny Buns... that is EXACTLY the attitude you need to have. :) Good job reaching that decision. :)
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,225.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby Miss M » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:51 pm

Absolutely! Good way to look at it, Tiny Buns... it's not fun, but it is the responsible thing to do. :)
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

The following user would like to thank Miss M for this post
Tiny Buns

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 5,430.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby Ramjet » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:11 am

Yep , culling is always hard .... but imagine all the negative consequences otherwise.

I don't expect many "pet" breeders to come to that conclusion (take that as a compliment).
Hindsight is always 20/20 but looking back its still a bit fuzzy.

https://www.facebook.com/texrex.rabbits

TexRexRabbitry@Hotmail.com

The following user would like to thank Ramjet for this post
Tiny Buns

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,875.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby Zass » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:27 am

I agree with your decision wholeheartedly. :D

To me, a biter (more specifically, one who draws blood) is a rabbit that has failed at behaving like a domestic animal.

We root those wild types out of the gene pool for the good of rabbits in general. Anyone with a loving, cuddly, friendly pet bunny (who reads this in horror) needs to understand that culling for domesticity is how rabbits went from wild animals that would panic at human contact, to an animal that can love and enjoy their lives with us.

Selecting for domestic behavior is also selecting for traits that I believe will lead to happier animals, because biters tend to feel stress or fear from human attention, neither of which are positive emotions.

I don't have any statistics to back that up, but, I am of the opinion that aggressive animals are at much higher risk for abuse, neglect, or abandonment.

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
EnglishSpot, MamaSheepdog, Tiny Buns

Previous