Pictures! Agouti kit from 2 Self parents? Steel gene

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Celice, the lighting in that image makes your blue look chocolate on my screen!!

Zinnia, I have a big hard drive, and a little 600 gig external. I can store as many pics as I want. :cool:
But RT only takes tiny images, so I reduce them all in windows paint before posting them.

Zass":2cryqkh6 said:
Celice, the lighting in that image makes your blue look chocolate on my screen!!

Zinnia, I have a big hard drive, and a little 600 gig external. I can store as many pics as I want. :cool:
But RT only takes tiny images, so I reduce them all in windows paint before posting them.
Savvy. And, that's not just your screen... The Blue looks Lilac (Chocolate undertones), on my screen.

I know Es e(Zinnia has one pictured ) and Es ej (Dood has one pictured) and EsEs (Celice and I have one pictured) can look self.
I'm pretty sure those self-looking steel kits I have pictured are EsE. I never saved any to test breed. If they had non-extension e, it would have had to come from the buck,
since the doe was a confirmed EsEs, she couldn't have e.

None of the opal does I saved out of the same buck ever produced any non-extension colored kits, even when bred to non extension colors, like orange or tort, but...he may still have. He was a new zealand/FG cross, and both breeds do commonly carry it.

Rumors about Ed (Extension dark) keep floating around, but I suspect modifiers to the regular steel gene Es to be capable if doing it, even with just one copy.

Zass":uetvj7wh said:
Rumors about Ed (Extension dark) keep floating around, but I suspect modifiers to the regular steel gene Es to be capable if doing it, even with just one copy.

Just reading about Ed again today. That's an interesting theory.

The researches who found the mutation for Es and ej said that they found no ED mutation. They theorized that Es and ED are the same mutation but with different modifiers. If anyone is interested I can link the paper.

How do you know those EsE ones aren't aa? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just curious.

alforddm":1ouingjh said:

The researches who found the mutation for Es and ej said that they found no ED mutation. They theorized that Es and ED are the same mutation but with different modifiers. If anyone is interested I can link the paper.

How do you know those EsE ones aren't aa? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just curious.

I'm interested, please link?

The buck was bred to several self colored does before the super steel and produced large litters (9+ kits in each) of all clean agouti colored kits. Opals actually, since the does were purebred lilacs. (test bred and confirmed steel free aa)
Pancake was one of doelings from that cross.

I had been under the impression that he didn't carry self.
Had he been Aa, bred to aa he should have produced 50% self kits.

It may have been luck, or he may have been E e, and the self looking kits with the super steel doe may have been Ese.
It is VERY possible he had a recessive copy of non-extension and that none of the daughters we saved inherited it, since we only saved a couple.
Actually, IMO, that is more likely than him having Aa and fathering 18+ kits (that I know of) with self does and never producing self kits.

__________ Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:26 pm __________

My hunch on EsE kits being able to appear as self has more to do with trying to get steel colored kits out of super-steel self based silverfox than that particular breeding though.
(aa B_ C_ D_ EsEs, I'm pretty sure, bred to Aa E_ and Aa EE mostly, I've only just begun test breeding for recessive e)
I'd be lucky to get one good steel colored kit in each large litter when I should have been getting 50%.
I always, always had a disproportionate majority appearing self.

lol! sorry guys! this little buck was a muddy blue color. it was like he was blue and then rolled in the dirt. In the first picture I have of him you can see the tan-ish paws and nose making him an opal. But there was not a speck of recognizable color, thus is the nature of steel. here is another picture I don't know if it turns up better on your screen or not :yes:

double_steeled_opal_by_trickster_of_asgard-d74b18o.jpg

to me he looks blue in this picture.

Yes, more Blue, there.

__________ Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:36 pm __________

alforddm":172kxk14 said:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16978179
Thanks for the link. A bit over my head, but I'll reread it when my brain is less tired! <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:00 pm __________ <br /><br /> Wow! The other kits are changing now. The "Carob" kits are Chocolate Agouti Steel! :p They have definite tan triangles at the nape, tan around the eyes and Chocolate bellies. They look like Chocolate Chestnut Agoutis dusted with cocoa! Elderberry is definitely a Steel rabbit! Thanks everyone for working this through with me! I'll post pictures of the Steel kits in a few days...

Wow! The other kits are changing now. The "Carob" kits are Chocolate Agouti Steel! :p They have definite tan triangles at the nape, tan around the eyes and Chocolate bellies. They look like Chocolate Chestnut Agoutis dusted with cocoa! Elderberry is definitely a Steel rabbit! Thanks everyone for working this through with me! I'll post pictures of the Steel kits in a few days...

Awesome! I can't wait to see pictures!

I can't wait to see them too!!

Here is the same chocolate steel kit I posted all grown up. Looks like she took after the Flemish Giant body type.

Attachments

• GEDC1858.JPG
    GEDC1858.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 2,939
I can totally see how these guys will grow up to look like that, Zass.

Here's the Steel litter. They'd all be Steels except the Tort, which I think is a Blue Tort. The Lilac one looks suspiciously unlike Self to me, so maybe she'll end up being a solid Agouti Steel like her mom?

Zass":270j0ah1 said:
Those are french angoras, right?

SO PRECIOUS!!!!!! :love:
Yes. French Angoras. For a moment, I considered keeping one of the Steel babies to keep a controlled line of on-purpose Steels. But, I'm not sure. I can't help but feel this batch is kind of ugly, actually. :lol:

Zinnia":3tcpo08p said:
Zass":3tcpo08p said:
Those are french angoras, right?

SO PRECIOUS!!!!!! :love:
Yes. French Angoras. For a moment, I considered keeping one of the Steel babies to keep a controlled line of on-purpose Steels. But, I'm not sure. I can't help but feel this batch is kind of ugly, actually. :lol:

What about the tort? Torts cannot have steel, so that one must be a pure genetic self. aa B_ C_ dd ee

...you could always send unwanted kits my way
:whistle:

I am going for a record number of edits, trying to figure out how to post the image from DropBox!

I probably hold the record....actually. I hope the mods don't ever decide to share just HOW MANY times I edit most of my posts. :oops:

Too funny, Zass! Yes, the Tort is not Steel, but... We've had so many prettier ones than that.

And, if you are ever out this way, you can surely take home a sweet little rabbit!

__________ Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:06 pm __________

I am going to cry. Really, I am!

ANOTHER litter from a different doe (sister of the sire of the Steel kits mentioned here) has a Steel kit. This means she is likley a Steel and that the sire of the Steel kits mentioned may have Steel, too. But, I still believe the dam previously mentioned (Elderberry) is Steel based on her genetics and litter mates. I have Steels where I don't want them. :cry: And there doesn't seem to be a question about them being Steel. They look Steel. How could I have purchased 3 wrong pedigreed rabbits? I don't have any clean stock to prove this out. I could buy one... but how will I know? These pedigrees looked clean!

GENETIC COLOUR DOESNT MATTER IN ANGORAS !!

So I'm not surprised at all that there are errors, I fact, after being on rabbit talk for over 2 years I think the MAJORITY of the miss-identified rabbit colours have been in angoras :(

Rex are a close second :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back