Students learn ancient style of cooking

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a great activity for students!!!

I was lucky enough to attend a high school for a few years in an area with a heavy hunting, fishing, and forestry tradition.

Nature walks all over the woods surrounding the town were common, (and didn't require parental permission). Dissections often involved river fish and deer hearts, instead of the usual pickled frogs and fetal pigs.

I loved that sort of "hands on" interaction with nature. I still do, and make sure to let my own kids get their hands dirty whenever possible. :D
My daughter started helping me skin the rabbits when she was 9. Very proud of herself too.

Since we mostly live on what we can hunt or raise ourselves...The kids look at their food supply VERY differently than I did as a youth.

I think this could be easily incorporated into many history courses and offer a reality check to today's youth who take getting a bite to eat for granted

Abbatoir and butchers course offered by my alma mater :)

Unfortunately mine was the last year they offered a live lab but it was very hands on and HUGELY educational

http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/sites/defaul ... Animal.pdf

After the egg incident and the noodle incident, oh don't forget the mint brownies that everyone was happy to let me eat all of, I'm not allowed to cook.

I did take animal science in highschool which covered judging meat qualities of livestock, butchering methods, and soil judging for various feed crops but we didn't hands on butcher something. The students also in welding made their own cooking platform and then someone brought in strips of venison for animal science to cook and eat. Then in college we disected large livestock for the anatomy portion of the veterinary degree.

Latest posts

Back