Stripes?? & Poop butt

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mytdogs

Reaction score
Hi all,

So far Eighteen's babies are hanging in there. The one with the purple knot on his/her head looks okay (it is fading) but seems a little runty- fingers crossed s/he makes it.

My question is, the babes are getting their white peach fuzz already but some of them seem to be growing hair in Stripes? Some stripes have fuzz & then other stripes are still hairless & therefore pink. It looks really weird- like little pink & white tigers (these are FW's BTW).

Anybody ever see this?

Oh yeah- one had some poop crusted over his/her anus & I cleaned it off with warm water. It was very irritated so I applied some Baby Anti-Monkey Butt powder http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/index...utt&srctype=detail&back=AMB_Products&refno=76- just a tiny bit with a q-tip to dry everything out. Hope this was okay. Should I worry about the poopy butt? Anything else I should be doing?

TIA!! :D

It does sound like the PurpleHead was indeed from bruising. That amount of head trauma tho...keep an eye on her for signs of problems.

The stripes thing sound interesting :) Your solution to the irritation sounds good to me :) I've noticed that the first few eliminations can be really runny, but then they adjust nicely. Just make sure Mom is getting a lot of high protein feed, and plenty of water. Hay to nibble on.

Poopy butt in infant rabbits is not good, but hopefully it will clear up on its own. If it continues, post again and I'll try to find out what to do. You did the right thing cleaning them off promptly... otherwise flies are attracted, lay eggs and you end up with a mass of maggots. This is called Fly Strike and can easily be fatal.

Stripes, eh? Sounds cute... Eighteen didn't have rendez-vous with a harlequin, did she?

I just came in from checking on them & looks like the divide is growing. Little purple head baby & 1 other are much smaller & everyone had big full tummies except for those 2 :( On the bright side- no more poopy butt :)

I will just have to wait & see what happens. Hopefully they can make it out of the box, start to eat on their own & catch up.

Not too surprising that the purple headed kit is having problems... or that there is one other not thriving. I generally let nature take its course, but if you want to try intervention, you could flip the doe along about midday and try giving those two an extra feeding. People dong this have reported that quite frequently a few extra meals without competition, is enough to get the kits through.

Sometimes dampness makes the hair look striated. Do the stripes have color to them? I saw a lot of this with very young kits that the doe kept peeing on (didn't keep her long). Their hair would be plastered down and as they moved their motion caused strips of the hair to be less flattened. There was hardly any color difference but it looked like there was until their hair grew in a bit thicker.

I think you are right arachyd. Maybe they are peeing on each other?? The big fatties don't have stripes any more just the 2 runts mostly.

The runts looked even worse this evening so I held the doe down so they could nurse- I told myself I would let nature take it's course but nooo, I had to intervene :) Now mom really hates me. I gave her a sprig of parsley to make up.

They were very jerky in their movements & didn't get huge bellies even with unhindered access- they did get some though. Both seem dehydrated & very thin. I think the other runt is the one with poopy but :( I guess I will be surprised if they both make it.

Can I clean out the nest box now or is it too soon? I feel like it is a little sour smelling in there...

You can clean the nest out whenever it needs it, but try to salvage any clean fur from what is covering them. If it is all too yucky, you may have to substitute dryer lint, teased cotton balls or batting, feathers from a pillow or similar soft, insulating material to use as a cover.

Latest posts

Back