Strange color on kit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingfire1

Reaction score
I have a doe kit that has pink eyes and a broken pattern that looks like a really faded out chinchilla, very defined banding on the hairs. I couldn't get a good picture, but the banding is there on the ends.

Anybody come across this before? She is a result of a litter that I didn't take away from their mother in time. Her grandsire is a black Magpie, sire/half brother is a broken black. They might carry chocolate. Dam/grand dam is broken himi something. I don't think she is black, looks more faded, maybe a seal? Never been real sure of her color. Sorry for the bad photo quality.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20160514_190718-1-1.jpg
    20160514_190718-1-1.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 630
  • 20160514_190925-1.jpg
    20160514_190925-1.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 630
  • 20160514_191052-1.jpg
    20160514_191052-1.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 630
With a black sire and himi mother, she cannot be Seal. It takes two shaded genes o produce a seal, himi can't carry a shaded gene.

The himalayan colouring, along with red eyed white and blue eyed white, hide a rabbits true genetic colour with a white coat

In the case of himalayans we can get an idea of their colour genetics from their points

In this rabbit I see - agouti, black, himilayan, not dilute :)

Now for the trickier part :mrgreen: it could be the broken gene creating the irregular makings but I wonder if the harequin gene has any effect on pigment in himilayan rabbits :hmm:

Himalayan should be self based, it's a self rabbit where the color is restricted to the cooler extremities, not a masking gene like rew or bew. But it's possible that the original himi was actually a himi marked agouti, which would explain the marking. I just culled a pearl agouti Angora. As a kit, he looked like blue pearl, as he got older, the agouti ticking gave it away.

You got me thinking, there was a Magpie buck in the crew that could have been the guilty party. Miracle the mother, has a sister (named sister cuz I couldn't think of anything else) who is broken black that I bred to a harlequinized chinchilla and got some beautiful colors out of. one of those is a chocolate Magpie Himi that I'll have to get pictures of later today.

Everytime I think I have a decent grasp of the genetics I get something else it throws me for a loop. it's a good I like rainbow letters or I'd really be in trouble lol.

Zass":1xd2i5jh said:
I've never seen a magpie-himi before. Never even thought about what that might look like.
:popcorn:

My latest group of Rex kits are from a Chin to Cal. They have points, darker noses, ears and feet. It won't make a big difference with the chins, but it's noticeable. Probably the same for Magpies, dark points.

Here is my Magpie himi doe. Most of the time it's harder to see the Harli influence on the himi kits as it takes awhile for the markings to separate.

Attachments

• 20160516_152633.jpg
    20160516_152633.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 582
You can actually see it on his face. Bred to a tri color doe I got tri color, harli and aguti.

Attachments

• 20160516_164808.jpg
    20160516_164808.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 578

Latest posts

Back