Sterile Buck??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheasant283

Reaction score
Have a young CA Buck about 8 months old now. Bred him to two proven does the end of August, Prior to the end of August it had been 90+ degrees. The does did not take, So rebred the middle of September palpated last night and do not think they are bred again. Just wondering if he is temporarily sterile due to the heat?? If so how long will he be sterile?

If his sterility is due to the heat it could last up to three months.
Your best bet is to use him as often as possible.
This will more quickly shoot out the blanks, and he will
if he is able soon be supplying you with offspring.
Ottersatin

I used to have an old breeding management for rabbits document that was offered by one of the universities, but now I can't find it. I remember it said that the heat (anything 85 degrees +) can cause temporary sterility or it may last in excess of 60-90 days in some rabbits, especially in older bucks. It also said does may not reproduce immediately after being exposed to high temperatures or if they are bred might abort, etc. I would give it a bit more time for the weather to continue to cool and then try again- your buck might have had low sperm counts or have been fine, but it is possible your does didn't take for some reason, too.

Best of luck,

Lauren

Im having the same problem as you are my buck is im guessing about 6 to 7 months old a califorina cross and so far have bred to both virgin and proven does and nothing im thinking of giving him 1 more try and then i will cull him. Its not helping that the does are being stubborn and unwilling to breed.

now thats something i ddidnt know, ive often wondered how long a buck is sterile once the heat makes him sterile. i had no idea it was that long.

this yr was brutal for heat. i moved mine outa the rabbitry into pens back under the trees. in constant shade. it helped tremendously. my rabbitry is too hot. metal roof ya know.

yesterday i was insulating the ceiling, getting ready to cover it up. hopefully it will help come next season. i doubt it will do much this winter, w/o a heat sourse.

fortuantly i ve yet to have a buck go sterile.

^^^I thought I'd read in a post earlier.. don't remember the thread off hand, but I think you said you culled your herd after you couldn't breed them after August. i was thinking at the time I read that, that it might have been due to heat. maybe you did have sterile bucks?

no, the fellas gave it all they had, they were workin over time and gettin nowhere if ya know what i mean. the does just refused them. i couldnt even get a forced breeding in.

this yr, ive startd with same line from my breeder mentor, but differnt individuals. and ive had better success.

We had some similar trouble with Pearl and Thumper. We kept trying but he didn't seem interested in her at all. It finally got to the point when both got all comfortable and decided to LIE DOWN!!! :-x Sheesh! Well, we poked at their feet with sticks(it was funny to see them jump!), and when that didn't work, we put Pearl in with Pinto. Pinto was eager enough, but she wouldn't let him anywhere near her. So we tried to force-breed her, and we put her in a box with Thumper who, unfortunately, was not interested in breeding. So we took him out and put Pinto in. He was very interested in the outside world, not Pearl. We have not had any babies and are open to any suggestions.

Back