Starting my first experimental colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
I have two does, a buck, and six kits, but will only have one kit around x-mas (I want bunny for dinner, lol)

So it'll be four rabbits. They have plenty of space, I built little areas and such for them to climb and hide. Anything else I should know? Is there any reason to not put does in a colony while they are pregnant? Or should I just go for it. I have read to put them all in at once.

Basically, any nuggets of wisdom for a beginning rabbit colonist? :p

I put my buck in first. I figured once he had established the colony as his territory, the does would be less likely to be aggressive towards him. Does can be very territorial, which is why with cage breeding, one takes the doe to the buck rather than the other way around. Everything went smoothly... but maybe it would have been okay with putting them all in at the same time. I definitely agree with adding the does and youngsters at the same time.

Dont have any nuggets of wisdom to offer... just sending some well wishes that your colony is a success! Good Luck!

Well, its the second night, and all seems to be going very well. I pet the buck in first, but only a few minutes first, and then everybun else. Spooky hasn't shown any of her normal territorial behavior towards the others, and Cedar lets the kits climb all over him. They seem to enjoy the colony. This morning, everybun ran and thumped when I opened the door, but tonight, babies were trying to spill out into the open, lol. VERY cute. I am putting a short peice of fencing by the door to stall any quick escapes while I am feeding them. :D

Back