Spring Clean up

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
So today, in the cold and wet of this cold Ontario spring, I cleaned out two sets of cages.

Top to bottom, spray cleaned and bleached. Let sit out for 10 minutes in the cold before the rain hit. Put them back in when the rain stopped.

They desperately needed a good cleaning! And I worked hard at keeping my cages clean all winter but each had a corner that just built up. Found out why.... hay and hair tangled together make an effective holding area for poop and pee and are HARD to disentangle without the use of some type of pressure on them.

so what do you all do for spring cleaning?
to keep cages clean in the cold of winter?
When you had no water outside? and no heat?

Pressure wash in the spring, vacuum any cobwebs, and dust from shelves corners and under, behind, and around cages, I don't really change my cleaning routine much except after scraping out trays I can actually wash them with the hose.

In the winter I scrape the trays out since I have no water in the winter I spray them with a disinfecting and deodorizing spray (miracle by swish), then add in shavings or stall dry, for the actual cages if there is any build up I use a wire bbq brush and scrub then spray and wipe with miracle, otherwise they just get sprayed with miracle and wiped. Urine guards get wiped down with Miracle. feeders and water bottles are brought in the house and washed with hot water and soap dried and then brought outside again. I have to sweep the floor pretty much everyday, I swear more hay ends up on the floor then in the rabbits.

In the spring, I powerwash all the hutches. Then each get sprayed with a bleach solution, followed by lots of scrubbing, and a final rinse. I let them sun until dry.

Monthly through spring/summer/early fall, I do this, minus the powerwash.

During one "the" last warm days of fall, I do a complete powerwash and scrubbing again, as it won't be until spring again that it gets done. During winter, I "spot clean" when necessary...mostly corners where (like you said) hair and hay piles up and holds pee/poop. I try to keep a handful of pine bedding in the corner of these cages, so that I can remove it and replace with clean bedding daily.

woot woot! Got a few more cages cleaned today. AND cleaned the boards underneath them. Wow... much prefer the smell of clean boards to well....rather filthy boards! :)

I have a nice clean cage for Damian when he arrives.

Most everyone is in the new tent, still have three rabbits (one girlie that I don't like how she's growing out, Mary since she doesn't get along with the two girls anymore, and Lily who has been having issues with the changing weather) in the old tent, plus Old Jack. I need to get rid of three more rabbits to make everyone fit! Not sure if I can do it, but it's my aim!

I have five sets of cages and their boards to do yet. Slowly but surely I'll get 'em done. :)

Latest posts

Back