Spraying

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 bun-owner

Reaction score
I have a question. My buck is spraying
My doe like crazy. She smells and I have
Taken indented baby wipes to her and
It doesn't seem to do anything. I could
Just wait and see if he molts it out but
Would like her white again and not
Yellowish. Alice and Thumps
Share a cage with a divider so he's
Marking his territory but his
Pee STINKS!!! :)

It's even harder now cause the doe I
Think is pregnant cause she's growling and
Attacks when I feed or clean the cage and didn't
Do this before, however I did manage
To try and get the per out but it's stained into
Her fur.

There is no question mark, so no question.
Nothing you can do about the spraying other than separating them or castrating the buck. Put up a solid divider to stop her getting wet, but it won't stop him spraying.
A doe will get aggressive or pissy after being bred, that's normal. In a week, she may calm down or she won't until after she gives birth.

Sadly once a rabbit is stained, it's REALLY hard to get it out until they molt. :( A solid divider will keep him from spraying her. You may want to move them farther apart...sometimes the sight and smell or sounds of a nearby doe will make an otherwise non-spraying buck spray like crazy.

Put a solid barrier between the cages. Boys will be boys! Once things settle down, you could bathe your doe. Make sure the water is just at blood heat or a touch above and lower her into the bucket so she relaxes once her hindquarters are on a solid surface. Good luck!

Kyle@theHeathertoft":zc41k0r6 said:
Sadly once a rabbit is stained, it's REALLY hard to get it out until they molt. :( A solid divider will keep him from spraying her. You may want to move them farther apart...sometimes the sight and smell or sounds of a nearby doe will make an otherwise non-spraying buck spray like crazy.

:goodpost:

MaggieJ":2784iwno said:
Put a solid barrier between the cages. Boys will be boys! Once things settle down, you could bathe your doe. Make sure the water is just at blood heat or a touch above and lower her into the bucket so she relaxes once her hindquarters are on a solid surface. Good luck!

What is blood heat??

2 bun-owner":3djbir40 said:
MaggieJ":3djbir40 said:

What is blood heat??

Body temperature, if you prefer. For humans, 98.6 F. A bit higher for rabbits, I think. The idea is to match the temperature of the water to the temperature of the animal so it barely feels it going into the water.

to get a white rabbit cleaner you can use the following with fairly good results.

1. vinegar
2. lemon juice
3. corn starch

To keep him from spraying her

1. move farther away
2. put a solid barrier in between

Spraying sometimes stops once the buck is fully mature. It does not always. I don't much care for spraying bucks and tend to sell them if they do. (at least if they make a point of spraying on me). I have learned though it tends to be young buck behaviour and often stops after they are bred the first time.

Your doe may or may not be pregnant. Is your cage wiring big enough for her to have been bred through the wire, or did you put her with the buck?

She could be becoming space protective. When she is saying "this cage is mine, I'm going to make my area safe for when I have babies. GET OUT.

To fix that.. put her in a new cage once in a while so she learns that every cage is yours and she can and will adapt and STOP being space protective.

If she indeed pregnant, you'll know with the month.

If you are uncertain about her due date then you'll want to give her a nestbox, or put her in a solid bottomed cage with a fair amount of bedding.

MaggieJ":286t5tv0 said:
2 bun-owner":286t5tv0 said:
MaggieJ":286t5tv0 said:

What is blood heat??

Body temperature, if you prefer. For humans, 98.6 F. A bit higher for rabbits, I think. The idea is to match the temperature of the water to the temperature of the animal so it barely feels it going into the water.

Ok, so have the water a litte warmer
Then 98.6 degrees?

It doesn't have to be exact, but just what you feel is close. They point is just not to shock the bunny (too cold or too hot). I've given several rabbits baths for a multitude of reasons. They were actually surprisingly okay with it. It was like a bunny spa day for them :)

PSFAngoras":1tfq5dkn said:
It doesn't have to be exact, but just what you feel is close. They point is just not to shock the bunny (too cold or too hot). I've given several rabbits baths for a multitude of reasons. They were actually surprisingly okay with it. It was like a bunny spa day for them :)

The doe I bathed recently just sat there and glared at me the whole time. ;) Never kicked or squirmed or anything, just stared at me with this vaguely annoyed expression, LOL.

ladysown":1pt1qmgu said:
to get a white rabbit cleaner you can use the following with fairly good results.

1. vinegar
2. lemon juice
3. corn starch

To keep him from spraying her

1. move farther away
2. put a solid barrier in between

Spraying sometimes stops once the buck is fully mature. It does not always. I don't much care for spraying bucks and tend to sell them if they do. (at least if they make a point of spraying on me). I have learned though it tends to be young buck behaviour and often stops after they are bred the first time.

Your doe may or may not be pregnant. Is your cage wiring big enough for her to have been bred through the wire, or did you put her with the buck?

She could be becoming space protective. When she is saying "this cage is mine, I'm going to make my area safe for when I have babies. GET OUT.

To fix that.. put her in a new cage once in a while so she learns that every cage is yours and she can and will adapt and STOP being space protective.

If she indeed pregnant, you'll know with the month.

If you are uncertain about her due date then you'll want to give her a nestbox, or put her in a solid bottomed cage with a fair amount of bedding.

Will the vinegar or lemon juice hurt her at all
When she licks her self? Do I dilute the lemon
Juice or the vinegar at all or straight?

Back