Splay legs, need advices

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimitsuKouseki

Reaction score
ALright I need you guy's opinions on this matter.

2 weeks ago I had Nikita give birth to Trésor's babies and this included a gorgeous BEW double mane baby wich I intended to keep.
The father has already gone to freezer camp since I have another baby from a different doe I also intend to keep so with 2 babies I decided it was his time.

Nikita is my only indoor bunny and she has a palace of 2 large cages and the equivalent of 1 more large cage inbetween the 2. She has 2 litters boxes and for the birth I had even extended her palace with another brand new cat litter with cover.
Against all my efforts and wishes, Nikita insisted on making her nest in the middle of one of her cages though. I relocated the nest many times and she kept remaking it there so I eventually gave up. This means the babies were born on the slippery floor insted of comfy bedding of the litters. Now sadly, at 2 weeks old and eyes barelly open, the baby I intended to keep has developped splay legs. I put a brace on his back legs wich were the worst and relocated the 3 babies to the litter box. Nikita isnt happy I did that though, even attempting to rebuild her nest in the cage, but the baby already seems to be doing better with it's front paws.

Now though, I'm rly hesitating if I should still keep him, cull him or wait and see if the legs get better and just sell him with the warning to the new familly. I do have the baby from the other litter so the bloodline doesnt solelly depend on him but I am kinda disapointed. What would you do in this situation?

You could line the cage bottom with newspaper or other material that would give it some traction.

Newspaper probably won't help. Newspaper lined cages rather than bedding or wire are often the reason people end up causing splayed leg in other animals. I haven't seen it with rabbits but I've never attempted breeding a litter trained rabbit with a smooth cage floor. Many will use old rugs, similar durable fabric liners, or outdoor carpeting to give traction to litter trained rabbits in the cages or on smooth floors of the house when roaming. You can also get rubber truck bed liners and stall mats in larger bulk pieces to cut down. We actually just use a $28 truckbed liner from the feed store as the runner in our entryway over smooth hardwood. :lol: I have far too much of a practical mind for fashion or decorating.

the baby is doing better, but I'm mostly concerned on if I should keep him or not. I know its a genetic weakness so I dunno if itd be right to use him for breeding <br /><br /> -- Sun May 13, 2018 5:16 pm -- <br /><br /> I just took off the braces from the back legs and while the feet still have a V position the knees and hip joints seem to be back in place already. So I'm gonna leave him be for now.
Yippie for 2 week olds being a bit pliable, I felt bad for turning him into a mermaid just as he was starting to want to walk around.

Latest posts

Back