speaking of chOOkenS :)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brody

Reaction score
It's so nice to hear chickens yakking again ..

these are BEAUTIFUL girls - Buckeyes and while they aren't happy to be in the coop still they are adjusting well - all my other chickens have been a bit flighty by comparision to these girls - they are obviously well handled and used to a life like we have here - the dogs don't bother them. they are very cute peering out the window in the coop (yah I know but my hubby likes amenities and though the chickens would too) to see what I'm bringing them. Like every chicken I've ever known they LOVE berries :)

YAY for chickens!!
Thanks MK

BUCKEYES!! The friendliest chickens ever! Curious and friendly, easy to turn into pets..and quite annoying after you do! "feed me...got food? whatcha got? FEED me" :roll:

And of COURSE they need windows in the coop! Are you nuts? Must have windows. Must see what human lady is bringing us chickens...

Anntann":18a4nem0 said:
BUCKEYES!! The friendliest chickens ever!

Oh yes, VERY friendly, to the point where you had to *sweep* your feet along when walking to avoid stepping on them. They just don't produce very many eggs :( When it was Chanteclers and Wyandottes, we were SWIMMING in eggs -- lots for family and friends too! With 6 Buckeyes, it was just barely enough to feed two people and 3 dogs...

I have high hopes for the Cuckoo Marans though. Hopefully next year we will be swimming in eggs again -- nice deep brown eggs!

Our marans have always done REALLY well with egg production..it just takes them awhile to get going. :roll: I've got 2 pullets who have had full red combs and wattles for a couple of weeks..but no eggs yet. The last time I went through this it took them almost 6 months! although that was a late batch...born in May..so light was dwindling when they were maturing :(

Ooooh, chicken talk! I've still got my three but only your Buffy is laying in the coop where she is supposed to, Brody. She's a great little hen! Those other two delight in hiding their eggs and it is just too hot to search for them. Once it starts getting chilly they will smarten up, I hope.

Maybe next year I'll get some chicks from Jason. I think I might enjoy Partridge Chanteclers or my old favourite, Speckled Sussex. :)

I tell you these girls are wicked friendly :)

they are out discussing life with each other and all of us when we go to see how they are doing

I did mention eggs would be good compensation for the fine accomodation ;)

Buffy is an amazing little bird Maggie - her eggs are might yummy too :)

Yes, they are! Such lovely dark brown shells too... and sometimes she even decorates them with speckles! :D

If she is still with us when you get settled in the Country permanently, I'll give her back to you.

she is happy with you :)
and I am happy she is still producing well for you :)<br /><br />__________ Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:16 pm __________<br /><br />oh wow - these are GOOD chickens ... put them to bed first tie no fuss no drama - trooping up the ramp like they've lived here forever!!

yay for happy chooks!

Ours will peck fingers if you dont have a treat, spoiled things!

MaggieJ":g6lveteh said:
Chanteclers are a French Canadian breed, developed to handle cold winters. The original ones are white (not so good for free rangers) but they also come in type called partridge, which has a basically brown colour. Much safer with hawks about.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/ ... icler.html

Wow, those are some handsome chickens! I love that little partridge chick! :)

Oh what a good BUCKEYE!
egg one was laid today - it's a little oddly shaped but such a pretty creamy brown :)

YAY chooks!

My 3 remaining hens have given me two eggs over the past 3 days too, so I think they are all finally over the moult. I wouldn't expect more than an egg every day or other day from those Buckeyes. Even with 6 hens, I never got more than 2 eggs a day and some days just one or none :(

The pullets seem to be integrated with the 3 hens finally. I think going from 6 hens to 3 made a huge difference in the amount of intimidation the old girls were putting out. Sadly, at least one of the pullets is actually a cockeral -- a gorgeous Golden Laced Wyandott cockeral. He's got the multi-coloured metallic sheen to his feathers and is going to be spectacular. Unfortunately I can't keep roosters here since I'm technically not allowed even the 6 laying hens :(

Anyone need a new rooster?

oh shame :(
maggie needs a rooster :) keep those girls protected :) wish I was here full time I'd take him and the rest of your retirees too :)

I've had 3 eggs - one more today so all is well ... they are such sweeties

hey - a chook question - these three aren't roosting at night - they pile into the nest box - should I lower the roost a little for them? Buffy adn Jody used the roost but they weren't/aren't as big as these girls .. I'm wondering if they just want a bit more head room (it's built to specs in a book we found but seems pretty close to the roof to me)

Brody":2m4aozva said:
hey - a chook question - these three aren't roosting at night - they pile into the nest box - should I lower the roost a little for them? Buffy adn Jody used the roost but they weren't/aren't as big as these girls .. I'm wondering if they just want a bit more head room (it's built to specs in a book we found but seems pretty close to the roof to me)

In their winter quarters, they have 2 roosts (both 2x4's with the wide side for sitting on). One is about 3 feet from the ground, the other 4 feet and the ceiling is 8 feet high, so lots of clearance. On the other hand, their summer coop is a small raised box about 2.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 feet which is up a ladder in the pen. So the past couple of months they have been sleeping piled on each other in that raised coop/box.

If your nest box is removable, I would say pull it out at night for a couple of nights until they learn to use the roost.

gotcha - I can block it off more easily then remove it - is there harm in them snuggling in the box at night?

Latest posts

Back