Spatchrabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schipperkesue

Reaction score
I raise heritage chickens and eat the roosters that don't make the grade. They can be a little tough if not cooked correctly. All that running around the farmyard and eating bugs makes for a tougher muscle tissue.

This year I have embraced Spatchcock. You take a whole chicken, use a sharp pair of scissors and cut up each side of the backbone, reserving the backbone for soup or to give to your favorite dog. Then you flatten the chicken and cook it long, low and slow. The result is tender and delicious.

So how about rabbit? Obviously I am NOT cutting out the backbone, but how about a slice up the chest and flattening the carcass that way? Has anyone tried this? How do you think it would work?

I was grilling them that way when I was playing around with Jamaican jerked bunny recipes. It worked well, but...the thighs do take longer to cook than the rest of the animal.

Yes, I have deboned a rabbit. It is not as hard as you might think if you haven't attempted it before. I also like that you can give the whole raw skeleton to your dogs. But I think a roasted, deboned rabbit might be a little...sloppy?

I think they roll them and then tie them with butcher twine. I've even read that you can stuff them. I tried to debone once and it didn't go to well lol. I do need to try again.

I wanna try deboning the next time I have a large batch of rabbits to process. I figure if I mess up the rabbit too much I can turn it into sausage. lol

Latest posts

Back