Sore Hocks *pic heavy*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohen Rabbitry

Reaction score
Ok, so Teme is 5 months old. I noticed a small bald spot on her hind foot about 2 weeks about. I put an extra resting mat in her cage. There is only about 2 inches of exposed wire in the cage now. Since then it had gotten worse. It is not open, just bald spots on both feet and the small dot has gotten way worse. I was wondering if there is any treatment or prevention before it goes any further. Will she ever grow her fur back in those places? Also, How bad is too bad for a judge?

P1040212.jpg

In her cage with both resting mats, so that way you can see the amount of visible wire.
P1040227.jpg

P1040219.jpg

Someone told me athletes foot cream, but I haven't used it because I am unsure how much to use and how often. I have tried what I call horse gauze, I am sure that is not what it is called, but I get it in the horse section. It sticks to itself and I cut it in half down the middle. But she seems to kick, or bite it off within a couple of hours.

P1040228.jpg

P1040229.jpg

What would be the treatment if her feet were broken open? Just out of curiousity.

Thanks

Rachel

I think the problem is she is long, so her feet are still resting on the wire? What about putting the mats right up against each other, or getting a solid mat?

Even the resting mats don't look all that comfortable. Try putting down straw and see if that helps. Also, her hind claws look a little long... Might just be the way the toes are splayed though. I read somewhere that long claws can aggravate the situation. Just a couple of ideas to mull over.

Remove one of those mats and put in a wood board instead. Something like that most likely will get DQ'd on the table.I wouldn't use her for breeding as it can be genetic, she looks very fine-boned, plus it could be a fur density issue which is also genetic. Sometimes sore hocks is a manifestation of pasturella as well, it doesn't always show up in the respiratory tract. She does need a nail trim :) It is hard to treat, but the anti fungal cream you mentioned might help! Another thing to try is a cream you get for breastfeeding human mothers, its called Lahsingoh I think, its a weird name but comes in a purple and white tube in the baby bum care section. What it is, is triple purified medical grade lanolin which means you can use it even if you are allergic to it,its safe to use even when the baby is feeding so it won't hurt the rabbit. I can attest to its extreme effectiveness having raised a ahem.. "barracuda baby"

Devon's Mom Lauren":1v3plb1j said:
Remove one of those mats and put in a wood board instead. Something like that most likely will get DQ'd on the table.I wouldn't use her for breeding as it can be genetic, she looks very fine-boned, plus it could be a fur density issue which is also genetic. Sometimes sore hocks is a manifestation of pasturella as well, it doesn't always show up in the respiratory tract. She does need a nail trim :) It is hard to treat, but the anti fungal cream you mentioned might help! Another thing to try is a cream you get for breastfeeding human mothers, its called Lahsingoh I think, its a weird name but comes in a purple and white tube in the baby bum care section. What it is, is triple purified medical grade lanolin which means you can use it even if you are allergic to it,its safe to use even when the baby is feeding so it won't hurt the rabbit. I can attest to its extreme effectiveness having raised a ahem.. "barracuda baby"

After careful research to what pasteurella was and what the symptoms are, I can assure you she does not have it. I double and triple checked. Her paws are clean (no build up of snot) and no crusties in her nose. Her nails get clipped (sanded down) every other week. They were just done about 3 days ago. If they where done any further then it would have got the quik. It is probally just the closeness of the picture. As far as putting wood in there, I can do that. Any specific kind? What should I do about her using it to go potty on?

Thanks!
Rachel

I was gonna suggest a bunny board as well or towel... my bun, Pie, has a towel in his cage he lays on to get relief from the wire when he is in his cage (he prefers this to a hard board). Its positioned away from his potty corner and fixed to his cage so it doesnt move. It also has a triangular cut in the corner so he doesnt accidentally "wet" on it... which he never has.
I feel bad for your bun, poor sweetie. I would have bandaged his feet, too, at this point. Do you have any "bag balm" in the house? Its a wonderful healing agent and is completely non-toxic to people and animals.

I think the problem is the mats you have in the cage. The bare spots are at the middle of the rabbit's feet where it would put all it's weight on the bars of the resting mat. They don't look irritated in the pics but it's hard to see - too blurry.It just looks like the hair is worn off. I'd get rid of the mats and use something more solid but soft. A towel can be changed out daily and washed, twice a day if you're concerned about the rabbit's feet getting stained. Straw would be messy but would work and you could compost it.

Ok, so I put a piece of blanket on the cage on the bottom of her cage for her to sit and lay on. I may make it a little bigger because I am not sure if it is long enough. I have been putting anti fungal cream on her 2 times a day.

P1040233.jpg

P1040236.jpg

P1040248.jpg

She seems to enjoy it and has been laying and sitting on it non stop. What do you guys think? Do you think this will help?

Thank you for everyones advice and help!

Rachel

I think it will help your bun. A towel is soft and warm so I can see why she likes it. Be prepared for her to throw it around every now and again (thats what Pie did in the beginning thats why I had to fasten it to his cage). You may still want to cut out a triangular corner of the towel (the corner that is up against the corner of the cage)just in case your bun gets so comfy she doesnt want to move to her potty spot to take a "leak" (LOL), or you will find yourself changing out that towel a few times a day- which will be a pain.

Latest posts

Back