Something Bad is About to Happen...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SarniaTricia":365z5co8 said:
I sew (will be on the lookout for a peddle power machine)
I have been thinking about a non-electric sewing machine myself. I wonder about treadle machines. I wonder if they are easy or hard to run, etc. I've seen some homesteaders on youtube use them and seen them on Craigslist.

foresthomemama":202nafpq said:
SarniaTricia":202nafpq said:
I sew (will be on the lookout for a peddle power machine)
I have been thinking about a non-electric sewing machine myself. I wonder about treadle machines. I wonder if they are easy or hard to run, etc. I've seen some homesteaders on youtube use them and seen them on Craigslist.

The option alforddm linked is interesting...

I will say, I really really like my treadle. I have a 1950's New Home that was my husband's great uncles. It's not nearly as pretty as some of the other ones out there (it's a brown textured matte finish... almost looks like a hunk of rust :lol: ). I have pieced two crib size quilt tops on it so far... it has a much nicer stitch than any of my electric machines, and is much more reliable. I have been watching videos on how to free motion quilt on a treadle and might give it a shot soon. I have a BUNCH of accessories that work with it for different stitches and functions (ruffler, zig zig, button hole, hemming, others I have yet to figure out their purpose :lol: ). There is one lady on youtube that only uses non-electric machines for all of her sewing - be it quilts or clothing. I do want a hand crank machine eventually - it would be portable not to mention the ability for very detailed work in applique. It won't be for all my sewing though... I doubt I would be able to crank it for a long chunk of time. With the treadle I like that since it is a newer machine it has a reverse switch, and also uses more traditional bobbins. I also find it to be a much more enjoyable process than just pushing an electric pedal (although that could be because of the stress my other machines cause me :roll: ). I have contemplated making it my primary machine, but there are some things that are easier on my newer electric ones (like repairing items that works much easier when I can use the narrower base on it).

Just do your research on whichever treadle you plan on getting - they are each a bit different. The one I have requires you to push the wheel away from you to sew, most (if not all) singers you pull toward you. Bobbins also make a difference. The rod/spindle type are neat, but I like the newer round ones better - easier to find replacements for and they don't seem nearly as finicky (with my limited experience anyway... and a lot of that could have been user error). Some have reverse, most of the old ones do not. Check on attachment available as well. Most of my older machines have been interchangeable which is nice.

(edited to add - I know there are a couple of sentences with very funky wording... my head hurts too bad to try and think it through though... maybe later I can come back and fix it :oops: :lol: ).

alforddm":ydpw9cws said:
If you have the money and want something with newer functions, https://www.lehmans.com/product/traditi ... g-quilting

However, almost any belt driven sewing machine can be adapted to a treadle. You just need a longer belt and may need to adjust the top for a good fit.

my parents have my grandmother's old sewing machine and cabinet.... I wonder if it could be adjusted to use with a belt and treadle?

I don't know if a regular cabinet can be converted to a treadle. I think the treadle cabinets are a bit wider in order to accommodate the fly wheel.

If however, you have a treadle cabinet, a more modern sewing machine can be used so long as it fits the cabinet top and has an external flywheel that excepts a belt.

SarniaTricia, watch Kijiji and yard sales for an old treadle Singer. They do show up now and again and they are not always expensive.

I once found a Singer hand-crank table-top Singer (1930s, going by the hairstyle of the woman in the instruction booklet) at Value Village for $15. It's a bit slow, but it is pretty easy to add a motor for non-emergency use.

MaggieJ":1ge4abvs said:
SarniaTricia, watch Kijiji and yard sales for an old treadle Singer. They do show up now and again and they are not always expensive.

I once found a Singer hand-crank table-top Singer (1930s, going by the hairstyle of the woman in the instruction booklet) at Value Village for $15. It's a bit slow, but it is pretty easy to add a motor for non-emergency use.

THAT is the kind of deal I am hoping to stumble across for a hand crank!

Latest posts

Back