Soldier fly larvae from rabbit ofal

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoodat

Reaction score
After you butcher a rabbit you are faced with what to do with the remains. Instead of burying them use them to raise black soldier fly larvae. Soldier flies will not come around you outdoors or want to get into your house. There is a large market for the larvae at any pet store that sells reptiles.Bait stores may also be interested. The setup is very easily made from parts available at any home supply or plumbing store and the parts are cheap.A link to a site showing how to make one is at the bottom of this post. The liquid that runs off the bottom of the composter is an outstanding garden fertilizer and the best news is that they are self harvesting. Once they reach maturity they will go up the ramps you built into the composter and drop into the container all by themselves. They void anything in their digestive system before they do that so they are clean to handle. That's one reason pet stores like them so much. In only a few days all that is left of your ofal are the bones and hair, which is also good fertilizer.You don't need to buy a start of black soldier flies. Just make the composter and they will come to it.They are found in all the states as well as Australia, New Zealand and Canada although in the North they will only be around in the Summer. If you don't want to sell them your chickens will gobble all you can raise.

http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/bsf-buck ... rsion-2-1/

"They are found in all the states ...."

I looked into these, and I found that this may not be true--the northern states may not have them, unless you are willing to ship them in, which I am not...Where did you get the "all states" part?

eco2pia":215p15y4 said:
"They are found in all the states ...."

I looked into these, and I found that this may not be true--the northern states may not have them, unless you are willing to ship them in, which I am not...Where did you get the "all states" part?
Northern states have them but only in the warm Summer months. You may be right that it is not profitable to raise them in the short season they have in far northern states. There are other soldier flies that are more abundant in the North but are smaller. So far about 1500 members of the family have been identified but the black soldier fly is the most desirable since its larvae are larger. The limiting facor on black soldier fly is that it must have warm soil to burrow into for at least the two weeks it takes to hatch from prepupal to adult.

This sounds like a great way to turn rabbit guts into chicken food ( the parts you don't use anyway)

We had black soldier flies get into the waste on our chutes once, when we hadn't been as attentive. :oops: The kids thought they were wasps at first, but relaxed when they found that the way they churned the waste kept other flies from being able to hatch in there.

Latest posts

Back