So what will I get by paring a black otter with a blue otter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacy

Reaction score
What will I get by paring a black otter rex to a blue otter rex?

Will I get a 50% of each color is one dominant over the other? Is there a chart somewhere where you can plug in colors ans see possible out comes.

This genetic stuff is so confusing for me.

If the black otter does not carry dilute you get black otter and that's it. If the black otter carries dilute you get half black half blue. That's assuming there is nothing else going on. An otter can carry self and then you get solid/self blacks or blues and on to the less common stuff. Genetic calculators are only useful if you know the genetics your rabbit carries and how to enter it. If you just put in 2 colors and assume there are no hidden genes like black otter carrying no blue or self then aside from a few situations all you get back out of it is the most dominant color of the 2 you are breeding.

Ok, Well I almost positive that the black otter came from a long line of black otters bred for show. I saw the parents and they were both black and I'm pretty sure their parents were both black otter.

The blue otter, I'm not sure about.

I guess we shall see. I am just so happy they finally bred and will have some rex babies.

Unless your black carries blue you wont get it.if it carries blue my experience has been i get maybe one or two blues never half.

Breed the offspring back to the parent.
The offspring will or at least a portion of them
carry the blue Gene.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Latest posts

Back