So... What Colour Is She?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
I have an almost 4mth old female lionhead x dwarf bunny. She's super adorable, but I've been having some trouble pinpointing her colour. I was told on a different forum that she's a harlequin, but when researching genetic information, I never see that colour listed.

403825_10150464335672319_507032318_8348243_494693656_n.jpg

388053_10150464336702319_507032318_8348251_13847808_n.jpg

397803_10150470738652319_507032318_8373732_1173724345_n.jpg

if you need different photos, let me know and I can take them.

other names that are used to indicate that the rabbit is expressing the ej gene are:
japanese and magpie

the wild rabbit has EE for full extension of color
other options are

ej_ which can give you tri-color, magpie and harlequin, depending on some of the other genes the rabbit expresses

ee - the most recessive of that group, gives you non extension, which is red or orange,depending on the breed it's in

you might want to look at pictures on

http://www.rabbitcolors.info/int/en/index.html

Renete has hundreds of rabbit pix that people have put up there and there are geneotypes with the pictures which may help you learn a little more about the genetics of rabbit color

At the risk of sounding shallow, I actually picked her out because I have 2 torty w/ white cats, and a black and tan w/ white dog. I think she's pretty too, though, and I adore her.

It is harlequin and you see it more often in Mini rex or i used too.

black japanese harlequin colouring on the kit. At four months she should be about her adult size if a true lionhead.

She's half lionhead, half dwarf. In those photos she was about 8wks old. So if looking at genetic information, I should look for "japanese" rather than "harlequin"?

If you are using a search engine for more info looking up "harlequin rabbit" will get you farther than using the term japaanese or japanese brindling but the latter is used more on certain sites.

If you got her from a pet store they call them all dwarf rabbits whether they have netherland dwarf or not. Anything dutch or smaller is often a "dwarf rabbit" and then they add lop or lionhead depending on the ears and coat.

I got her off kijiji, and she was advertised as a netherlands dwarf x lionhead. I just assumed that if I used "dwarf" in the breed sense, people would assume it was a netherlands dwarf, I apologize.

Latest posts

Back