So...they say don't look at colour, look at type.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
my question is....how do you look past colour to see type?

But this litter fairly easy...broken castors for three of them, broken opal for one. The opal catches my eye, but I can't say that it's not because of the colour.

this one the buck

march52010092.jpg

march52010091.jpg

these are does
the biggest one
march52010090.jpg

march52010089.jpg

the opal
march52010094.jpg

march52010093.jpg

the smallest one, concerned she might gain the small head of her mom, but overall she seems a nice bun
march52010096.jpg

march52010095.jpg

if you had to choose one as a step up from mom, which would you choose?
oh...NOT keeping the buck.

Depending on the breed, color and markings could be important.

For the lops, it's like 4-5 points for color, half that if the animal is broken, so yeah, type over color any day. There are breeds that give a chunk of points to color though, so it needs to be looked at as well. Best thing to do is buy an SOP and memorize your breeds standard, or write key points on index cards for reference (I like keeping my SOP away from the bunnies - lol).

Are these Mini Rex? If you are wanting a doe as a step up from mom, can you post a pic of mom?

I like the buck best, but you want a doe (it always works that way).
Biggest doe is what I would go with.
The opal doe has the poorest type (from what I can tell from pics).
The smallest one seems to be splay-footed.

It's so hard to go by pics alone. But if it was me, I'd keep that biggest castor doe.

Here is the mini rex SOP:

GENERAL TYPE..........45
Body...............35
head................5
ears................5
Fur...................35
Colour................15
Condition..............5
Total points.........100

This is for Arba Also don't let the small amount of points allocated to condition fool you, it is always the final determining factor in winning a class. Usually an out of condition Mini rex will also lose out on the fur points as well, so i would look at those two together which make up 40 points of 100!There is a lot more written in the sop but it is long winded lol<br /><br />__________ Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:40 pm __________<br /><br />Body head and ears are the breakdown of points for General Type

I say stick with the Broken opal, it has the best body of all of them and has a better shoulder then what you have right now :)

Well its hard to tell because they aren't posed very well but my favorite is the opal also. Nice smooth arch, good shoulders- the others appear down in the shoulder.

Yes,
I believe I would pick the B/Opal She
at least in the picture appears to show
the best type of all of them including the Buck.
If you can fit two fingers behind the head before the Rise starts
the Rabbit will have weak shoulders.
As always, JMPO.
Dennis, C.V.R.

Type is ALWAYS what you look at first and foremost, but depending upon the breed and variety in question, it would be foolish to pay little to no attention to everything else.

Lets face it--there are several breeds out there which you can get away with not paying as much attention to color on (New Zealand whites, Florida Whites, White Satins, to name a few), but at the end of the day, you have to pay attention to several factors other than type to raise successful rabbits for the show arena in many of the more popular breeds and varieties.

__________ Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:49 pm __________

ottersatin":cgtuxapr said:
Yes,
I believe I would pick the B/Opal She
at least in the picture appears to show
the best type of all of them including the Buck.
If you can fit two fingers behind the head before the Rise starts
the Rabbit will have weak shoulders.
As always, JMPO.
Dennis, C.V.R.

That's what I was thinking, too. The Opal doe seems to possess more of the total package than the others you posted photos of.<br /><br />__________ Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:53 pm __________<br /><br />
ladysown":cgtuxapr said:
oh...NOT keeping the buck.

Just out of curiosity, why are you not keeping the buck? :?

why didn't I keep the buck? Trying to remember... oh...I had someone wanting him and I had a better buck already. At least that's what I recall...<br /><br />__________ Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:10 pm __________<br /><br />why didn't I keep the buck? Trying to remember... oh...I had someone wanting him and I had a better buck already. At least that's what I recall...

Back