So last night at 4:02 AM...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allranger

Reaction score
I have told my wife that rabbits can scream. I have had my rabbits in the back yard for a year and a half now and there has not been a sound out of them. She was begining to doubt they could make a noise at all.

Then last night at 4:02 AM we both are waken up by a rabbit screaming. I was able to get some pants and ran outside. At that point I realised I forgot anything that would be useful, shoes, club, flashlight, etc. So I just ran to the cages and make some quick circles trying to find anything running away. I was for sure a racoon was trying to get a rabbit. We have a lady down the street the feeds them... Any way, nothing went over the fence and the rabbits calmed down when I came outside. So I went back in and grabbed a flashlight and started to look for footprints and check to make sure there were not any blood or wounds on the rabbits. One of the rabbits was visibly shaken and breaking heavy so I petted he and calmed her down. After about 15 minutes I could not find anything that would lead me to believe there was a cat, racoon, dog, what ever. So I did one last walk around and I found the problem.
There was a massive katydid that was smashed to a pulp in the back of the cage. I suspect what happened is that because it was colder last night the katydid was looking for warmth and started crawling on the sleeping rabbit, who then proceded to freak out and kill her insect attacker. :lol:

The poor doe was fine when I checked her again this morning before work.

I do not think any of my neighbors were awoken by the ordeal but my wife believes me now that a rabbit can SCREAM.

I usually love bugs, but when I was 9 months pregnant (and hormonal, that's what I blame it on) a pair of mating praying mantises landed in my hair! Sounded like a helicopter!! I narrowly missed squashing them in my panic and my husband carefully untangled them for me. As soon as I knew what they were I wasn't scared, but the katydid would be at least that huge to a poor bunny! What a way to wake up!

lol! poor rabbit! How funny, though!

rabbits do scream and it is a nerve wracking sound. Mine screamed when they fought...took me a couple of times until I figured out where that god awful sound was coming ffrom. all the girls are separate now.

One day I was peacefully working at my desk in the house when I was startled by a piercing scream from the garage. I bolted out there and when I burst into the garage all the rabbits looked at me like "What's your problem?". Well, I went back to my desk and was working away when another scream hit the air. This time I was smarter, I peeked carefully through the window in the door that leads into the garage. In one far cage in the corner I had two young does and one was mounting the other and biting her neck. These were long screams, a few seconds in length and made the hair go up on the back of my neck. Anyway, I separated the two does and all was well.

I have heard others scream on the rare occasion, kind of weird to hear an otherwise mute animal in full scream.

I HATE, HATE, HATE praying mantises! I would probably scream like a rabbit if one landed on me! :viking:

LOL, Truckinguy. I had a phobia of preying mantises and spiders all my life until we moved here in 2001. There are just so many of them about that I had to do something, so I've worked hard to desensitize myself to them... They are, after all, very beneficial critters and now I've got to the point where I can enjoy seeing them in the garden. Still not crazy about having one on me though... :)

Back