So I'm A Complete Genetic Noob...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epic

Reaction score
So I bred Red, my red Satin Angora buck to Gloria, my tort Satin angora doe. The kits are due for the 26th. c:

I'm dieing to know the color possibilities.

Gloria's mother is a chestnut and her father is a tort. Behind both of her parents there's a big range of colors; REW, Tort, Chinchilla, Lynx, Copper, Fawn, Black, Red, Chocolate and more chestnut xD

Red's mother is a tort and his father is also a tort, they too, have plenty of colors behind them; Red, Tort, Fawn, Chestnut, Copper, Chinchilla, Black and Chocolate.

So what possible colors, can I get out of the breeding ? c:

I could wait 12 days, but I'd like to see what other breeders think c:

Wait what are we calling tort? I assumed you meant black tort or some other aa ee rabbit but you can't get a red which is A* out of 2 selfs, aa, so what are we calling tort or is there some confusion over the resulting red? If you use that color calc dark.lapin posted and put in tort and tort you will see that you don't get any agouti colors including red.

Personally I like http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/genetics.htm and http://www.thenaturetrail.com/Rabbit-Co ... -Chart.htm for most of my genetics info. The chart on the 2nd page makes it really easy to look up a certain combination.

Ignoring the tort/red problem and assuming you do have a red and a tort all offspring will be nonextensions so ee. Meaning if one of the buck's parents is a tort you will get red and tort guranteed. The rest is down to recessives and you may get nothing else.
If we assumed they carry all recessives on their pedigree that are not already ruled out we have Aa Bb CC Dd ee combined with aa Bb CC Dd ee making possible
A* B* CC D* ee -red
A* bb CC D* ee -I'm not sure but it's chocolate based (that chart just calls it chocolate orange)
A* B* CC dd ee - fawn
A* bb CC dd ee - again not sure but it's a lilac with nonextension (chart just calls it lilac fawn)
aa B* CC D* ee - black tort
aa bb CC D* ee - chocolate tort
aa B* CC dd ee - blue tort
aa bb CC dd ee - lilac tort
With a tiny chance of REW.

I can honestly say, I'm very confused. xD

Red, my red Satin angora buck, who's out of two torts, he is definitley a red. xD

Gloria, my tort Satin Angora doe, is definitley a tort, is out of a chestnut and a tort.

So they are both definitley the correct colors. xD

I got them from another breeder, and I'm completely clueless with genetics.

*goes to do research*

Thanks for the links c:

I appreciate the information Akane.

I'm still very confused though. xD

you have a high rate of red, fawn, then Tort-Chocolate. Looks to me that was a pretty good color pair to use.<br /><br />__________ Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:30 am __________<br /><br />I use Evans software love it for that reason.

What akane said is true. It is genetically impossible to get a red from two torts. So either your red is not red or one of its parents were not torts.

Yea I'm calling BS on the pedigree whether on accident or on purpose. I'm not sure what I'd do about it though.

Back