So Happy to find a buyer for my Chickens

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Background:
I live in a subdivision
I don't like the current industrial food system (specifically the way meat animals are raised)
My response is to grow my own and sell excess product.

I "rent" (trade chickens for using their land) space at a friend's farm for my chicken tractor and raise small batch meat chickens.

This past Thursday I took my 26 chickens to butcher (along with 20 rabbits) .... I need to have them butchered at a government inspected facility to be able to sell to the public.... On the way back my friend called a friend and we ended up trading 12 chickens, pound for pound for locally pasture raised pork/beef.

Now that same individual has asked if I have any more? I have another 30 in the tractor now, due to go for processing July 21st... and another 30 in the brooder right now!

Could I have found my middle man for poultry sales!!??
Keep your fingers crossed for me..... If I do, I'm going to need to build another tractor (and another freezer lol)

That's very exciting!!!

Where I am, poultry can be processed and packaged on farm for sale to the public as long as you do less than 1,000 head per year. Rabbits used to fall under this exemption, but a few years ago they changed the laws and rabbits now have to be processed at an FDA facility :x . This has thrown a serious wrench into my efforts of growing my rabbitry...

It's awesome that you've found a potential good system that also keeps you legal, I hope it works out!

haha, congrats!! hope it works out as planned <3
it's too bad that it's illegal to keep poultry of any kind here in an urban area :roll:

Back