So excited about my new cage!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crhidy

Reaction score
I was able to get 4 of these cages from my old job. I recently finished this cage (with help from my boyfriend) and I'm so excited to stack three rabbits in my living room!
I have one in my kitchen that my cats eat in and sleep in at night. (They did when they were too small to roam the house and it turned in to their own space).
I look forward to putting together the other two and finding places for them. I consider myself a rabbitry, but only have 9 rabbits total at this time. I will always keep it small enough to keep them in the house. I have a big laundry room that has two shelves with cages. I'm going to convert the garage maybe? I was excited enough to share! <br /><br /> -- Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:47 pm -- <br /><br /> Took me quite a few times to get these photos the right size to send!

Crystal Hidy
HetuckHollands.webs.com
Hetuckaussies.com
WagsnKissesDogTraining.com

Attachments

• new cage small photo.jpg
    new cage small photo.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 663
  • tater tot.jpg
    tater tot.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 663
Cool cages but... Ohhhhh the thumping concerts you're gonna have in the future XD
I have 2 cages in my room and I've stacked em for a while but chose to unstack em. Thumping concerts are inevitable when you have multiple rabbits in the same room but when they are stacked like that each thump resonates though the cages making the concert that much worse.
Also I'd recomend using recycled paper or wood pellets for your litters. Wood shaving smells bad rly quick. This means more waste and cleaning required. I use living world recycled paper litter and only need to change the litter after 2 weeks when it's full. It doesnt smell at all unless the rabbit digs in it. Had some friends who refused to make the switch for the longest time and after I forced em to try they never went back XD
Finally those hay balls are better suited to being toys then feeders, the hay is too hard to get out and they'll end up eating less then they should. Best thing is to put the hay straight in their litterbox, it'll facilitate litter training too. Leave the balls in as toys though but unhook and remove the chain, they'll love throwing them around.

Cute little holland lops btw ^.- and hope my critique is was usefull.

nice,
glad you have something you like,
I don't see this setup as a "problem".
and- if you breed and have litters, ..you are going to have to clean the cages often, anyway..
If the thumping gets too bad, put a "disposable" layer [or two] of cardboard on top of the floor...
[it won't get all over the room, like a layer of "loose" bedding materials]
I like the cardboard layer, because it will soak up urine,[help avoid urine scald] before it makes a big wet mess ,
and you have to bathe "stinky urine soaked" rabbits .
Nice pictures,
Hope you enjoy your rabbits...

Actually I have a thin layer of shavings over pine pellets. I box train in a smaller cage before moving them to something this big. Even then I use multiple boxes in their cages until they are a little more consistent. The BEW is perfect and has babies, so it's great to have them right there in the living room. I work from home, so I have a little cleaning station with a small broom/dustpan and natures miracle with a squirt gone on it. I have a role of paper towels and everyone gets swept up daily and their boxes changed every other day. I only have 8 lops, so it's easy to keep up with.
They get swept up every day and their boxes changed every other day. I work from home.
I will be rotating the bottom cage so everyone gets living room time and can learn how to be an out and about rabbit.

With the hay balls, I do often put hay in their litter box too, but these guys are going through multiple hay balls a day. I have horses, so I have lots of good hay and go through tons of it. I keep a little hay in the litter boxes plus I moved the hay balls over the boxes so they can be more consistent in their litter boxes. If anyone gets too rowdy or messy, I can always move them back to my utility room. Everyone is inside. I keep it small to be able to manage it on a daily basis. Oh, and I have some bell cat balls in there for toys too.

I can't say I'll always keep it small. You all know how addictive it is and how many you need to do the different color programs...... but for now. :)

Thanks everyone. I love the feedback. I can't stop watching these guys and I'm tickled that they are right here with me. I even suggested to my fiance to remove the TV from the living room and replace it with another one of these cages. He looked at me cross-eyed. I was joking.

..... or was I? ;)

Back