Snuffly rabbit and her treatment

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angora Acres

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was given an angora doe a couple of months ago as a rescue, former owner had no time to care for her grooming.

She came with sneezes and the prior owner thought she was allergic to hay.

A trip to the vet for a health check: her right nostril and sinus was occluded.

We did a course of Baytril, suppressed for a bit, more sneezing though.

At the time of the vet check, we also did a blood draw to do a pasteurella antibody test.

The lab lost the first draw so I had to take her back for a redraw. At the same time, the vet listened to her sinus and there was more clarity there. We switched over to chloramphenicol. I'm about a week into a month's long course.

She's a happy friendly bun and her sneezes have diminished.

As to the antibody test, I don't think I'll get results for that. Long, goofy story with the vet.

At any rate, I had hoped to start up with angora rabbits but probably shouldn't now with Sophie in the house.

I suppose I'll wait until she passes. It's okay to have her as a pet I guess. I'm not around other buns. And she's sweet and I seriously doubt I could put her down because she sneezes.

Guess I'm not the hardened farm girl I think I should be. ;)

Does she have white snot? Any snot at all?
That is the classic sign of Pasteurella. If she is to remain your only rabbit and you are careful not to go near other people's rabbits (including shows, etc.) then you can keep her as long as she seems happy and reasonably healthy otherwise.

A word of concern about the vet visits. Are you being charged for office visits when the reason for the additional visits is someone else's error? It doesn't sound good to me. If the lab screws up, they should make it good.

Hi Maggie, no white snot. A bit of clear snot but no wet paws or anything like that.

I didn't get charged for the second office visit.

The vets office credited me the whole test amount. But the vet thought I didn't want the results so asked the lab to toss the serum!

I told him in an email that I DID want the results as that would be useful information even if it was far later than we had expected (he thought 1-3 days).

I'd be interested in hearing the experience of anyone else here who has paid for an antibody test or has used this particular antibiotic.

I've spent $150 on a free bunny. Yeesh. :?

Anyway, water under the bridge I suppose as a test now wouldn't show high antibodies if indeed it was pasteurella and she has been under antibiotic treatment.

I won't be going to any shows. I had hoped to get a local buck and doe and have a litter but won't now.

I'll just enjoy Sophie as a house pet. :bunnyhop:

I'm glad the vet is ethical about money matters, but it's a pity you didn't get the results.

Yeah, it really bites to spend big bucks on a free rabbit. Still, if she is a lovable pet bunny, you probably won't regret it.

:bunnyhop:

Back