Snuffles? Allergies? So Confused?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdawson41

Reaction score
I'm so very new to rabbits and just in love with them already. I'm worried about one of my rabbits. She sneezes from time to time. Her nose is dry, there id's no white snot, no matting in her paws and only once have I ever seen her using her pause to rub her nose after sneezing. In worried sick it may be snuffles but from all I've read it doesn't match, but it seems they can't get colds. How long do I keep her quarantined? Or do I just cull to be safe rather than sorry, I would really rather not do that if it's not necessary. Can a very run a test and tell me yes/no for snuffles? Any advice would be so appreciated. I also read online about Bunnyvac but can't find a place to buy it. Thanks in advance, I just want too do what's best for my girl and not have her suffering!

Sometimes they just sneeze. It could be she is sensitive to dust or pollen or something tickling her nose. So long as there is no snot, I wouldn't worry. You can keep her quarantined as long as it worries you.

You can get your vet to run a nasal swab but it can be expensive. I have heard that the makers of the bunnyvac vaccine will culture a swab for about $30 but I have never looked into it and don't know for sure if that is true or not.

Thank you so much! Some things I read made it sound like rabbits don't just sneeze, don't have allergies etc.....i found it hard to believe something couldn't just tickle those adorable noses. Then some things i read came across as...bunny sneezes bunny dies! I'm so new but I sure didn't want that to be the answer.

Rabbits do not catch colds, but they do sometimes sneeze. Don't we all, when something irritates or tickles our noses?

Quarantining a sneezing rabbit can be a good idea, especially until you are able to figure out what is triggering it. If it DID turn out to be Pasteurella, the quarantine could save your other rabbits. But I would never euthanize a rabbit just for dry sneezing. If there is white snot, yes, but not for just sneezing.

Any time you are in doubt of a rabbit's health, pop it into quarantine immediately. Care for it last and then wash and change your clothes. You can save yourself - and your rabbits - a lot of agony that way and safely buy yourself the time to figure out the problem. But there is a big gap between grounds for quarantine and grounds for euthanasia.

Thank you. Thats what I did. Quarantined, feed and cared for other rabbits then cared for the one i thought was sick. I used disposible plastic cup to get pellets then threw it away, washed my hands and arms and stopped at the washer and all clothes went directly in. I did everything I could think of to keep from sharing it and glad I did. Reading and researching is such a good thing but it can be terrifying at the same time. Mist everything you read about rabbits sneezing refers to snuffles, the high mortality rate and to cull tgem right away. We just are getting started with ours and while some are meat rabbits I didnt want to lose one for no reason whatsoever. I so appreciate you all taking the time to respond, I'm glad I listened to that quiet voice that said keep researching and asking someone can help.

I'm glad we could help. It's pretty easy to freak out when a bunny starts sneezing, but you handled it exactly right. You quarantined, researched and looked for confirmation here. :goodjob:

I hear sneezing everyday :lol: My grow outs get a little over zealous when I am pouring fresh water in their bowls - even if there was still water in it, as soon as I start pouring fresh they try to start drinking and the level goes up and they don't react fast enough I guess :roll:

I definitely agree to continue to quarantine, just in case. Sometimes it takes time for symptoms to full show themselves... How long have you had her? If it's been a little while and this just started have there been any changes to feed or hay?

I've had her for about three weeks and it started pretty quick after I got her home. The person her had her before didn't feed hay but from what I've read I feel I should feed hay. It seemed to me out was when I would pot the hay in there that she would sneeze. So I thought something like allergy/tickly nose. Now sometimes when she had hay sometimes not. I've taught her to take a treat from me Ann's she had to stand and take it from the top of her cage so I can see her nose very well. Still not wet and no white snot. She only sneezes maybe once or twice a day. Not like off and on all day. I'm still following quarantine just in case but I'm starting to feel a bit better about it. I really don't want to start out by having done something wrong right off the bat and one of the rabbits having to pay the price for it. <br /><br /> -- Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:04 pm -- <br /><br /> Sorry auto correct on my phone went nuts in my last post......dang it lol

Latest posts

Back