Sneaky Snakey!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm sitting in my chair at the computer and happen to look down. There by my foot is what looks like a snake head. It is attached to two and a half feet of snake body and tail! In our living room, calmly sitting there as though it were my pet.

Fortunately, I like snakes... and since there are no venomous ones in this part of Ontario, I just as calmly put my hand down and grabbed it right behind where its ears would be. :lol: I supported the rest of its body and went to call David down to see it. Then we took it out and released it in a sheltered spot in the yard where there are lots of places for it to hide. It was very sluggish... must have overwintered in our cellar.

I think it was a rat snake... very nice markings in brown and tan. Hope it sticks around and grows and grows... :)

Aww. I love snakes too, but if I happened to look down and saw a snake at me feet I probably would have screamed blue murder. :lol:

It was certainly startling... but it's not the first time we have had a snake in the house this time of year. Usually they are tiny milk snakes... about the length and size of a pencil. My cat, Marilla, goes nuts when she finds one. Fortunately she was upstairs sleeping today.

This house was built in 1890 and there are lots of places that a small critter can squeeze through from the cellar. In the nine years we have lived here we have had snakes, bats, chipmunks, mice, shrews, rats and a mink "visit" us. :)

Our house is was built around that time too, luckily no critters have found their way in (well a bat has, but I heard that's good luck?).

The area in Ontario we live in has Massassauga Rattle Snakes.

OH BOY

yah I would have yelped too - doubtlessly

Devon - not too many rattlers around anymore - I used to see them often as a kid - now I have to go looking for one

Back