Color help please. New pics added

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
We have a broken lilac netherland doe we bred to a solid smoke pearl netherland buck. The goal was to at the very least get a chocolate carrier doe out of it but ideally a smoke pearl doe would have us tickled pink.

So, the kits are now 7 days old and I am worried my wishful thinking is making me color blind.

Curious about others' thoughts on these budding colors.....

(there are seven kits: 2 are either REW or himi [grand sire is blue himi], and then there are 5 in shades of grey)

Attachments

• possible smoke pearl.jpg
    possible smoke pearl.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 650
  • possible smoke pearl 2.jpg
    possible smoke pearl 2.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 650
  • shades of grey.jpg
    shades of grey.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 650
I am not great on colors, but here are my guesses.

Top pic, top kit is maybe a smoke pearl. Bottom pic, bottom two maybe smoke pearl. There is also such thing as a lilac sable, which is similar to a smoke pearl but lilac. Or, they might all be smoke pearl, just different shades, except the kit on the bottom in the top pic looks too dark.
Middle pic, not sure about. Other kits, not sure. Greys often puzzle me as well.

Attached is a picture of my smoke pearl kits at one week. They turned out quite dark, but are definitely smoke pearl. At a few weeks, it gets kind of hard to see shading, and they often get ticked. As they mature the ticking goes away and the shading develops nicely.

I am sure other members will know much more, I'm still a colors and genetics newbie.

Attachments

• all 1 week.JPG
    all 1 week.JPG
    516.5 KB · Views: 636
We've had a smoke pearl before but his colours showed up quite strong by 7 days old so I'm just not sure if his offspring are smokes or solids.

__________ Sat May 28, 2016 12:44 pm __________

Any color experts out there who can weigh in on this?

__________ Mon May 30, 2016 5:19 pm __________
Picture taken today
https://www.facebook.com/35831265103698 ... =3&theater

OK

They all look blue based which is expected when a blue is bred to a lilac and I don't see any lilac so the blue buck must not carry chocolate

From this litter I think the parents must be

Smoke Pearl = aa BB ccl c dd E_ enen
Broken Lilac = aa bb Cc dd E_ ENen

In the kits I think I see ..

2 REW (possibly himi) = aa Bb cc dd E_

4 blue sables = aa Bb cchl c dd E_

1 blue = aa Bb C_ dd E_ (but it does have a bit of a shimmer so I wonder if it is a blue seal ;) = aa Bb cchl cchl dd E_ and meaning the lilac mother is not a lilac)

Statistically ....

I would expect more full colour (" C_ " ) kits so are you certain the doe is a lilac instead of a blue sable point :hmm:

I would also expect some brokens and wonder if the doe is Vienna marked instead :shrug:

I assumed she's a lilac because she consistently throws chocolate and lilac when bred to chocolate or a carrier--her parents are blue straight back on the sires side and lilac/chocolate straight back on the dams side.

I was surprised with the lack of brokens but again she consistently throws 25% brokens (always charlies) and I've never seen any random white marks on her kits from previous litters. She had no BEW in her 3 gen pedigree.

I'm trying to improve my color evaluating and I thought I was seeing 2 REW/himi (sires sire was himi), 1 blue, 3 smokes and 1 darker smoke.

If the doe has had other litters with broken, chocolate and blue then this litter might just be a fluke that does not follow the statistics - it happens ;)

I should have clarified that blue sable is smoke Pearl, just another name for it so I also see

2 - REW or himi
1 - blue
4 - smoke (1 darker and 3 lighter)

Back