Skinny Bunny!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ptbunny8087

Reaction score
I have 3 Jr Holland Lops does. All from a different litter. I was working with them the other day and I was feeling along their back and realized that I could feel their spin and ribs nicely. They are fed at least a cup and 1/2 and day, and a handful of hay. They are eating Sprout. I have doubled almost triple their feed. Seen no improvement. 2 are 7 months and 1 is 6 months. 2 are small for their size.
Is it their feed?
Is it me?
What is happening! :x

I would suspect that you are just not feeding them a nutritionally balanced diet.
You might want to go with a good quality pelleted Rabbit feed,
you could still feed the sprouts as an additive to the diet.
If your rabbits are not prospering on what you are feeding,
the problem has to be with the feed.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

1 1/2 cups of feed per day? Is this per rabbit, or for all three?

I have a rabbit who decided to stop eating recently, seems to have been related to molting. Put whole oats in there, and she started scarfing them down!

:angry:
Miss M":2auldmtq said:
1 1/2 cups of feed per day? Is this per rabbit, or for all three?

I have a rabbit who decided to stop eating recently, seems to have been related to molting. Put whole oats in there, and she started scarfing them down!

They get feed 1 1/2 per rabbits in the afternoon. I have tried oats before and haven't seen any improvement. Should I try it again?

When you say nicely it makes me think they can be felt easily but they are not overly pronounced. Are they really rough feeling? Are their coats dull and a lot is coming out when you brush them over with your hands? Hollands at that age can be bottomless pits, I free feed mine. Are they separated? If not, then that could be an issue as well. Is each of their bowls empty when you go to feed the next time? What kind of feed are you using? If it isn't a national brand, what's the ingredients and protein/fat/etc for it?

Ptbunny8087, the way you wrote your post it even made me wonder if it was 1.5 cups to each rabbit or all three combined. Miss M just asked before I did. I also wondered if they where in separate cages or if they where all in a colony together. I am also wondering if it is 1.5 cups per volume or weight, are you using a scale? I have found that using the same thing to weigh out my pellets that there is differences in how much each brand weights for the exact same volume of pellets.

Cups should be used as a volume-only measure. If one were to measure 12 ounces by weight, it would likely not be 12 ounces by volume, and should not be called 1 1/2 cups.

Based on that, I'd guess she's talking volume, but it is a fair question. <br /><br /> -- Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:23 am -- <br /><br /> Personally, with eating so much and still being skinny, I wonder if they have worms, or some other parasite?

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":20xwkp28 said:
When you say nicely it makes me think they can be felt easily but they are not overly pronounced. Are they really rough feeling? Are their coats dull and a lot is coming out when you brush them over with your hands? Hollands at that age can be bottomless pits, I free feed mine. Are they separated? If not, then that could be an issue as well. Is each of their bowls empty when you go to feed the next time? What kind of feed are you using? If it isn't a national brand, what's the ingredients and protein/fat/etc for it?

Only one of their coats are molting really bad, but the other 2 are fine. They are all separate. 2 of their bowl are empty by the time I go feed them again, because the spill them. Sprout.

You may have to put the feed up high enough or fix it so they cannot spill it out. If they are spilling it right after and wasting most of their feed, they can have the same issues with weight.

So they're not actually eating 1 1/2 cups each per day, then? A lot of that gets spilled?

That's a different animal altogether. Rebel.Rose is right, you really should find a way to feed them so they cannot spill the feed. Perhaps get feeders that attach to the cage (not necessarily ones that require holes be cut). Put a couple of largish rocks in the bowl, so they can't dig the feed out very well.

Back