Simple Roasting... How to do?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is a good one-

rub bunny with olive oil salt and Pepper, wrap in bacon(laying flat on belly in roasting pan) drizzle with honey. you can add potatoes and carrots or any root veg you like.Cover ,roast for about 2 hours on 300* slow oven makes it more tender. Remove cover for the last 30 min to crisp up the bacon. Thicken juices for gravy...This works very well for an adult rabbit because they are tougher. :p

I'll have bacon on hand next time!
I just put it in with oil, salt and pepper at 300F for a slow roasting. Like a chicken.

So, do you eat the stuff at the ribs, or the sort of flaps along the sides?

Last year when we had our first rabbits to eat, I thought we had to slow cook them, but I find there are many ways to do them that work well. Tonight I have a whole rabbit in the oven (butchered Monday and cut up and froze the other 5 today) I'm cooking it at 400 because that's the temp I needed for the bread I'm baking at the same time. Have done this other times--for about an hour. Have potatoes in with it this time. I find some sort of fat is helpful, but wouldn't think you'd need to have olive oil and bacon. I often use lard (because we have lard we render from our pigs) and some mix of herbs, sometimes honey, sometimes applesauce or cider. Use what you know your family likes and feel free to experiment. Rabbit is easier than I thought at the start--just everything seems hard when it's unfamiliar.
Happy eating!

The olive oil and bacon is for flavor..you don't need both..I just like both. And no you do not necessarily need to roast on slow and low. But in Az. the hotter the oven the hotter your house. There are many ways just do what you like. There is not much meat on the rib cage you can save it and peel it later for sandwiches or eat it now. the belly flaps are my favorite ..or you can put them with the rib meat.

Ok!
I did it... and I was a little iffy on it (I am picky with meat)... just roasted it was firmer than chicken and had a slightly different flavor (not that it has to taste like chicken LOL).
I am interested to try it as stew tomorrow with more flavour other than straight meat (which bothers me sometimes regardless of source).

I have 2 smaller ones in my Rockcrok that I simmered on low on the stovetop - just sprinkled some Smokey Applewood Rub and some salt on them. DH ended up bring some leftovers home from a work lunch yesterday but our samplings were pretty tasty! It's heating up now with some pinto beans and broccoli for sides.

I usually cook more beef than anything (1/2 a cow in the freezer) so I am having to reacquaint myself with different flavors/recipes as I use more rabbit.

Back