Silvered angora?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
Elvira has grown into a lot of white hairs all over her. She has an almost salt & pepper look in her guard hairs; some are black, some fade to white towards the ends. She's one of my first angoras, and I've never seen any others close enough to notice if they have white hairs too. My chocolate buck (shared sire) has a similar amount of white hairs. Something tells me these excessive white hairs aren't normal?

It is a little amusing, though...I'm expecting my first Champagne/Angora cross litter in a couple weeks, that I'd planned on 'cause I wanted to see what an argente angora looks like. lol Maybe I'll breed Elvira to a future cross buck. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_8929.jpg
    IMG_8929.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • IMG_8936.jpg
    IMG_8936.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 1,075
  • IMG_8937.jpg
    IMG_8937.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 1,075
  • IMG_8940.jpg
    IMG_8940.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 1,075
The silver gene works by killing the pigment cells so the roots are white first and then grows out to the tips.

The silver tipped steels that are agouti, chinchilla and steel would create a look like your doe but normally the head is also silver tipped

I think your for just has normal black French angora fur with the black pigment being diluted out through a longer fur shaft and more guard hairs than normal giving a two tone effect

But I am not very experienced with the wool breeds

Dood":1aq2x2ea said:
The silver gene works by killing the pigment cells so the roots are white first and then grows out to the tips.

The silver tipped steels that are agouti, chinchilla and steel would create a look like your doe but normally the head is also silver tipped

I think your for just has normal black French angora fur with the black pigment being diluted out through a longer fur shaft and more guard hairs than normal giving a two tone effect

But I am not very experienced with the wool breeds

Yes, what Dood said. Look at my avatar. Your's is a normal black french Angora. As the coat gets longer, eventually it will be white to the skin, that is how I know my buck is at the end of his growing cycle. If I clip in the wrong part of the cycle, I get lighter hair at the tips, and darker at the base.

Now I do have a SF/Angora F2 cross. She has silvering on the head and ears as well.

Back