silver fox rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBA

Reaction score
I am considering getting a trio of silver fox rabbits sometime next spring. I have a lot to learn before hand.
My idea is raising them for their fur. I love the way they look, and I would love to eventually have enough pelts to make a couple huge blankets from them, then possibly some house slippers or other useful items.
I don't plan on diving in blind, I currently have never tanned a hide, but I figure I can start practicing with information gathered here, on some hides from our californian rabbits when they get processed. At 14 weeks or so, the cals don't have their Sr coat yet, but surely I can find some use for their hides.
With the silver fox, I assume I would have to raise each kit to about 6 months or so?
I don't like the idea of wasting the rest of the rabbit, so I would likely still process them for their meat, and then either grind it for sausage or can it to tenderize it.

Question, how big, sq inch wise, would a silver fox pelt be (usable) by the time it is old enough to grow in its adult coat?
I also figure I will have to have individual cages for each rabbit, so, I'm guessing at least 20-30 additional cages will have to be added to my rabbitry.

Anyone here raise silver fox? How quickly do they grow? What are their temperaments like?

Thanks for any opinions or advice.

I guess so. Well, but then again, if they are crappy to keep, I won't feel so bad butchering them, lol.

I raise Rex for both meat & fur ....

I usually butcher at ~14-16 weeks. If there is any comparison , I doubt you'd have to keep them to 6 months .... I get real nice hides in that 14-16 week range and don't have them in individual cages. I just separate by sex and seldom have issues.

Does the silvering come in past that 14-16 week point ?!

(I wish I had space for 20-30 more cages!).

Back