Showing cavies?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starsider

Reaction score
I was a long-time lurker here a while back, and I've recently been lurking yet again! I've been dying to get involved with rabbits and cavies, both showing and breeding, but since I was going through a divorce and living in an apartment, space was a big problem.

Now, I'm looking at purchasing my own home where I'll be able to have a dedicated cavy room, and also decided to get my project off the ground (and get to know cavies better) by purchasing two baby sows from a great breeder. So currently I have a broken b/w Skinny sow, a TSW (Tortoiseshell and White) female Teddy who is also a Skinny carrier, and tonight I will be picking up a cream/white broken Peruvian sow who "failed" out of her breeder's program. She is not for breeding since she has a prolapsed uterus (I'm getting her because I love the look of Peruvians and want to experience how difficult they are to keep in coat, because I am a glutton for punishment), but hopefully I will be breeding the other two for Skinny babies if I can find a suitable boar.

The biggest issue I'm having now is finding forums and other places to ask about showing cavies- all the cavy-centered ones seem completely packed full of anti-breeder/anti-show nutjobs.

Starsider":3rk0umgy said:
I was a long-time lurker here a while back, and I've recently been lurking yet again! I've been dying to get involved with rabbits and cavies, both showing and breeding, but since I was going through a divorce and living in an apartment, space was a big problem.

Now, I'm looking at purchasing my own home where I'll be able to have a dedicated cavy room, and also decided to get my project off the ground (and get to know cavies better) by purchasing two baby sows from a great breeder. So currently I have a broken b/w Skinny sow, a TSW (Tortoiseshell and White) female Teddy who is also a Skinny carrier, and tonight I will be picking up a cream/white broken Peruvian sow who "failed" out of her breeder's program. She is not for breeding since she has a prolapsed uterus (I'm getting her because I love the look of Peruvians and want to experience how difficult they are to keep in coat, because I am a glutton for punishment), but hopefully I will be breeding the other two for Skinny babies if I can find a suitable boar.

The biggest issue I'm having now is finding forums and other places to ask about showing cavies- all the cavy-centered ones seem completely packed full of anti-breeder/anti-show nutjobs.

While I can't comment much on cavies, just wanted to welcome you back! And assure you this is a "safe" spot to come! ;)

The only option is to use the facebook groups. Forums have all been destroyed by the pet owners and you will not find any help. https://www.facebook.com/groups/250097781755906/ , https://www.facebook.com/groups/197175330368062/ , this one isn't as big and I haven't joined it https://www.facebook.com/groups/181453121933242/ , this one is mostly for discussions using them for human and carnivorous pet food but if you don't mind seeing such things it has several people who also show and is one of the least strict for posting topics https://www.facebook.com/groups/Backyard.Meat.Cavies/ . I bought some nice red show culls from an admin of the backyard meat cavies group and some giant cuy from someone else on their way to a show with their regular cavy. They might be able to direct you to more specific show groups.

Thanks Akane! I’ll look into those groups. I’m already on East Coast Cavy Classifieds, which a lot of the show people seem to frequent on FB. But I agree, the major cavy forums are insane. The show people I’ve met have all been super friendly and helpful, the pet folks…not so much.

And Heritage, exactly why I came back- this is an awesome forum!

Back